Finding Skipjack

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSISSIPPI TALK' started by bcheney, Jun 22, 2009.

1. bcheney

bcheney New Member

State:
    mississippi
    Hello everyone. I was hoping that the North MS/Memphis area guys would help by telling me some of the locations that I can find Skip jack on the shore. I only live 10 minutes from Memphis so anywhere in the area would be helpful. I'm looking for something a little closer than the TN River/Pickwick area. Maybe some warmwater discharge in Memphis?

2. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Theres a warm water discharge at the TVA Allen Steam Plant. A long shoot that is about a mile long which dumps into the big muddy. I know folks who have caught them there on Sabiki rigs but it would be hit or miss at best. It would be much more productive to make the 1.5 hr trip to the Pickwick dam if you consider the fact that theres a good chance you won't catch any at the Steam Plant.

3. bcheney

bcheney New Member

State:
    mississippi
    Thanks. Any helpful hints on how to catch 'em at Pickwick (location, rig, rate, etc...)?

4. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Bruce I catch them at picwick right down on the rocks below the dam using Sabiki rigs with a 3/4 ounce sinker on the bottom or crappie jigs. When using crappie jigs I'll tie 3 or 4 on about 8 inches apart. Just jerk and reel thru the current. Its not uncommon to catch 2 or 3 at once. Just walk the bank casting til you locate them. Make sure to bring some big zip locks, plenty of ice and a big cooler.

5. bcheney

bcheney New Member

State:
    mississippi
    Awesome! I guess I need to suck up the long ride and go out there soon. I really want a chance at those Stripers anyway. Those are one of the few fish I like hunting for as much as catfish.