Finding Skipjack in Missouri

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Taliesin, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I keep hearing about using skipjack for bait and it's something I have never heard of before. Heck, I don't even know what one looks like. Where would I go about getting (and recognizing) some of these baitfish?

2. meat_hunter

meat_hunter New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    yes you and me both. cuz i was wandering what i was myself

3. knapperheadmatt

knapperheadmatt New Member

State:
    texas
    on the coast a skipjack is a lady fish. a.k.a. the poor mans tarpon.i've wondered about this too.
    matt

4. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    I have been catching for the past month below the dam (#22) on the missi. They are near the tailrace and you can often see them jumping or chasing minnows across the top (of course they are under the surface too). Minnows will just be flying like popcorn sometimes although a gar can cause the same effect, but the skippies jump a lot. They are so much fun, that I forget that I am going for bait!!!! Where I am, I sometimes catch them to 18 to 20" and they tailwalk a lot. I lost 4 yesterday and one was stripping line off my spinner drag. You need to use really small jigs and perhaps a weight to cast for distance. For me they are near the surface most of the time when feeding, so high and fast on the retrieve. Right now, if I let the jigs sink, the white bass hit them. I also see guys catch skippies on minnows when white bass fishing. Look for strong, white water over a dike or tailrace. Sunday a couple of the BOC guys and I are going for skips, cats, and sturgeon (and will catch some whites by accident). Hannibal Mike

5. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hmm... White waters? I might be able to fins some of that since I fish below the dam. Now how do I recognize these fish? Is it possible I know them as another name?

6. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    In Arkansas we catch them in swift water too. Below dams, along the curren seam is a good place to try. I use two crappie jigs in tandum about 18" apart. Like someone said, usually a high rod tip and fast retreve is best. I like to use one white curl tail jig and one yellow curl tail jig. Sometimes I catch them two at a time. Another good place to find them is the confluence of two rivers or a big feeder creek and a river. Again cast along the current seam. Yet another good spot is around bridge pilings. Current seam again. They really like the fast water and seem to hold right on the edge of it. That way they can ambush anything the fast water washes by them. They are a ball of fun to catch. I usually take a small cooler with ice (leave it in the bag) and as I catch them i drop them in the cooler on ice. Once I get them home, I bag them 4 or 5 to a gallon zip lock bag, and freeze them whole without water. They keep a long time and work good even frozen.

7. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Here you go.
    Read the names on the Pic's below for three types of herring commonly used for fishing.

8. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Here are the two types of shad we use a lot for bait.

9. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ahh Heck... I have caught small ones of these in my cast net. They also call them Hickory Shad here.

Haven't caught one on rod and reel yet, and the biggest I have caught in the net was about 11".

I'll have to see what I can do about trying for them with my other rod.

10. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    After looking at the herring pics, I wonder if we have any of the blueback herring on the missi? I thought I was using gizzard shad, but the distinct black spot has me wondering if I am using threadfin shad.
    "a rose by any other name would smell as sweet" Hannibal Mike