Finding Shad?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by KYCATFISHHUNTER, Feb 2, 2006.

1. KYCATFISHHUNTER

KYCATFISHHUNTER New Member

State:
    NORTHERN KENTUCKY
    Hi Fellas,
    Im From The N.ky Area And Im Having Trouble Locating Shad. Could Someone Give Me Some Insight On Way To Locate Shad? Like What Types Of Water. And The Best Ways To Catch Them. Any Info Would Be Greatly Appreciated. Thanks

2. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    With the cold water right now, downstream of just about any warm water discharge will attract shad on the big Ohio. If you have a cast net, great. If not, they can be snagged easily (check the Ky regs first) using 2 or 3 small jigs about 12 inches apart. Keep 'em cold if oyu're going to freeze them. I put the large ones in a zip bag simgly, or the smaller ones in one layer. In either case, I push out all of the air before sealing.

3. KYCATFISHHUNTER

KYCATFISHHUNTER New Member

State:
    NORTHERN KENTUCKY
    Thanks For The Info. I Will Be Sure To Try It.

4. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I have always had luck with smalls rivers, I like to use a cast net to catch my bait. Ponds are another good option too, I just take a light action rod with a split shot, small hook and a bobber and head for a pond. I usually catch bluegill and perch. Hope this helps

chris

5. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    good post Ol Whiskers, this time of year just look for a warm water discharge and they will be there