Finding Shad.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by MRR, Oct 19, 2006.

1. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Don't know if this is in the right spot ,but here goes. Now that the water is cooling down it seems like it is getting harder to get shad from the bank.I don't have a boat so have to rely on getting all my bait from the bank.Where I was getting them they seem to of moved out,so now I need some Ideas as to where I can get them now. Like to get some in storage for later use but beginning to wonder if that is gonna be possible. Any ideas will be appericated. Thanks in advance.

2. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    A guy once told me to poke a hole in a can of catfood and leave it in the water for a while and it will bring the shad in, don't know if it works, but u might wanna try it.

3. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Try to access the bank where the wind is in your face. The wind blows the plankton toward the bank which the shad feed on. Good luck.

4. KingCat

KingCat New Member

State:
    Olathe Kansas
    All I can say is that you don't have to find shad. Bluegill or other bream work JUST AS GOOD. I went out last Sunday morning and caught a 13lb blue cat on a bluegill head. I was on shore too.
    It has more to do with WHERE you fish on a lake than bait.

BTW, If you want to catch 1-2lb eaters.........use medium shrimp. The little cats will always make it to your big catfish bait before the big ones but they can't swallow a big fish head. They can swallow a shrimp though.

If you want a big catfish.....use a big bait but be prepared to wait longer for a bite.

5. MR SANDMAN 800

MR SANDMAN 800 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    That catfood would probably draw some other species of fish in too.