Finding shad

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by riddleofsteel, Aug 30, 2006.

1. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    One of my home lakes has a HUGE airation system. This makes catching shad so easy that a monkey with a cast net could do it.. We float in the bubbles and just throw the net in. We often net 1/4 to 1/2 pound or so of gizzard shad with every throw.

My question is....on lakes with no such system I have had zero luck netting shad for bait. What techniques do you guys use. How do you locate these fish without an attraction that holds them in a certain area?

Thanks

2. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    actually you need no atractent just a good location i use the side iv the bridge its concret shid pile up there ,,,,good luck

3. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Settin out lights at night is one of the most dependable ways.If you dont have time for that usually back at the back of feeder creeks is a good location for em.Shallower the better, if its to deep they will run out from under your net in the daytime.

4. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    does the lake have coves or bays? I know when i go to one of my favorite lakes, i can usually find shad as the sun sets in the mouth or on up in the bay or cove.

cyas
    rc

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have been lucky with shad on Jordan and have only had a few instances where I could not get any when I tried. There have been a few times though. Now bank fishing i still have a place where shad are available without baiting the hole.

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Bridge columns always seem to be a universal bait attractor.

7. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I always find them where there isn't much current.