Finding Shad

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by bigcat_chaser, Aug 6, 2006.

1. bigcat_chaser

bigcat_chaser New Member

State:
    Cincy, Ohio
    Hi all,
    was looking for some tips in finding shad on the river, we usually fish with bluegils or creek chubs but have found them to be hard to get at times so would like some advice about getting some shad or skipjacks we usually fish around lawrenceburg or rising sun and will probably launch out of tanners creek how and where are good spots to try to do this? what size throw net etc... any help or pointers would be great

2. southpaw

southpaw New Member

State:
    alabama
    do you fish at night or day?if at night i have a secret weapon that will get you shad garunted.but it is a secerst.if you are interestad send me a pm.

3. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    aww, common brother Steve share your secert, plezze!!

4. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i think any cast net will di.. if you know how to use it... but i would say shallows and all sand bars should produce you some shad... or if you know where there is a small spillway you should try there to.... just trying to help..

5. milla62

milla62 New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,OK
    Flooting light or the the new submerged light will atract then at night have your buckets ready!! Good luck!!

6. skippie2use

skippie2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Wilson creek, LOADED WITH SHAD may need to people to pull the net up. Skipjack good luck. I have to spots but that info cant be given up. Need those spots to stay full for when I have tour. Sorry As far as the pm on Brookville I would use either Bonwell or Fairfield. Fish the rock points that fall into deep water to catch the biggins. if just looking for fish drift the flats. You wont be able to eat them all. Very few bigguns on the flats though unless you can find the special spots. Its taken me 20 years to learn how to fish it with virtually no help. Trotlineres dont catch 1/3 the fish that I do now though. I cpr all fish over 3 pounds though. I also only keep fish about 4 times a year. Brookville is by far the best catfish lake in the state as far as numbers go. Good luck. Get ahold of me sometime and we will go.

7. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Current Breaks. I caught tons of them yesterday on the downstreem side of a moored barge. In two cast I easily caught over 100 shad. Try various types of current breaks in the slack water areas.

8. bsu_catfisher

bsu_catfisher New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, Indiana
    You should be able to throw all over tanners creek on your way out to the river and catch plenty of shad. We normally launch out of Arnolds and Grants creeks and we don't have much problem most of the time. Sometimes they are in the deeper parts and sometimes they are in the shollower waters depending on the weather. At times it takes a while to get enough bait..but sometimes only a couple throws will do depending on if they are in the creek spawning. We have caught them many times up there in tanners creek so you should be able to find them up there.

9. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    If u launch outa arnolds throw in the middle of the creek during the day and towards the bank at night. The shad follow the thermocline so throw in depths where it is and u'll be fine! We still need to get together and get some lines wet this week. and oh yeah, I went to the game tonight, WHO DEY!