Finding shad on LOZ from the bank

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Taliesin, May 27, 2006.

1. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have been looking for places to throw a net for shad around Truman Dam quite a bit lately, and finally found it.
    West Bledsoe Ferry Park, head down the road that runs alongside the lake (river) till you get to the end circle. On the left side there is a walkway to the shore. Most of them were up in the rocks in 3 to 10" of water so a throw net wasn't really feasible, but they were so thick I was using my landing net.

If you are in a boat, you can still find these shad too. Right where the old and new Osage River channels meet and the shore turns to the south.

I had thought that since I found the shad I would have found the fish, but I think the high boating traffiv made the predators wary. Either that or I just couldn't bring myself to fish close enough to shore. Had a couple of little bites, but nothing that stayed on long enough to set a hook (or to hook themselves with a circle).

This was also my first chance to try out my new catfish rod and reel. I still have to get used to the rod (much longer than I am used to) but I am highly impressed with the reel so far (Shimano Baitrunner 6500B). Even got to hear the baitclicker go off, though only for about half a second.

2. elalr

elalr New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    another good place is drake harbor off of the docks closest to the ramp. One more of my favorite places is the free city ramp north of 7 hwy. its just past the swinging bridge maybe 1/4-1/2 mile. good luck

3. jobiechillin

jobiechillin New Member

State:
    Pennsylvainia
    This was also my first chance to try out my new catfish rod and reel. I still have to get used to the rod (much longer than I am used to) but I am highly impressed with the reel so far (Shimano Baitrunner 6500B). Even got to hear the baitclicker go off, though only for about half a second.[/quote]

I have the two the 3500 and the 4500 . they are top of the line as far as spinning reels go. they make it 10 times easier to set the hook on a running fish than any other I have tried. You are going to love them ... I know I do. Good Luck.

4. r_bray89

r_bray89 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    man i wish the shad would come in are cove
    we are at the 86 mile marker and all of last week we saw no shad at all
    saw alot of people throwing nets but nothing in them