Finding shad in the winter.

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by wildhunter066, Nov 27, 2008.

1. wildhunter066

wildhunter066 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I wabs wondering were everyone finds there shad in the winter time. This will be my first time fishing for blues in the winter. I fish the lake and was wondering if you find them in coves or were ever they might be. Thanks.

2. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Wild, I catch shad all winter in the river I fish. The gang up in the deep holes in the river and I look for them on the graph. Sometime I have to run a few miles to locate a big bunch of them but it's worth the looking. When I do I sometimes have to add a extra 20' of line to the cast net to get to them. I use the trolling motor to stay with them but I can usually get bait caught in two or three cast if the river is not flooding during the winter. If we are in a high water season I have to go up into the back water oxbows but I do the same thing and can find them there. I'm sure you could look for them on a good graph and find them in the lakes, Hope this helps.

3. DHR

DHR New Member

State:
    sallisaw,oklahoma
    yep i agree with coolarrow2. you just have to use your fish finder to hit the shad then use your troller to hang with them.

i have a few ropes off of old nets and in the winter i keep one extra cast net rope hooked on the end of the one on the net, it seems to cast better for me with the same type of ropes hooked together.........ive tried a couple of different types of rope with poor success.

4. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Jake here in my neck of the woods on the Catawba river chain I have a few feeder creeks that I catch bait in year round. You just have to adjust to the changing temperatures this time of year. The gizzard shad here generally move to the deeper sections of the creek as the surface temperature drops. They also seem to ball up in tighter schools so finding them is sometimes harder but once you do its easier to stay on them. If you have a color screen depth finder its pretty easy just make sure you have the fish ID turned off and look for big balls of color on your screen with yellow in the middle. Someone on here suggested in another thread when getting bait in deep water to put a round of tape above the lead on your cast net and that helps to keep it open as it sinks. I havent tried it because the deepest section of the creek I catch them in is about 17 feet. Good luck!

Shane

5. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    What is the deepest you have had to let a net go down to catch shad.
    I think my net has about 20 feet of line/rope on it. I will add more if I need to. I'll be fishing the weekend after new years.
    thanks for any help.
    ccat

6. DHR

DHR New Member

State:
    sallisaw,oklahoma
    ccat,

i let mine hit the bottom. today i got about 3-4 dozen-- 6 were 6-10" the rest were about 3-4".

i would definitely add another rope and try to find water at least 25-30' deep.......today i found a spot that showed 27' and it was hit and miss, took about an hour and a half to get bait. here lately shad have been a little hard to find so i go the day before to get bait for the next day.

p.s. our water temp showed 43.2 on the fish finder.....from what ive noticed the colder the deeper..........a week or so ago when it was colder than you know what i had to find 35-40' water to get bait.

7. healthydrink

healthydrink New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    Today was terrible to get bait. I found the shad in 20-23 foot of water by the ramp but only caught 4. I thought I would do better at my usual shad holes and boy was I wrong I could not find them anywhere I have usually found them. The deepest I have found shad last winter was about 40 feet. I had to get a Bass Pro 8 foot radius 16 foot diameter net that had the bigger weights on it an added an addition rope from a different net to reach the bottom. A Throw net will close gradually on the way down so the bigger net is essential. I tried the tape thing and it was a waste of time, we could not throw it and when we tried to remove the tape it ripped the net.

8. healthydrink

healthydrink New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    In the lake start looking near the boat ramps, the second place is near the river and creek channels if you find them in 20 foot of water you will usually find them in 20 foot of water at different parts of the lake. Goes for when you find them at 30 or 40 foot.
    Where the channels make sharp turns are a good place to find them in lakes also. You have to have a lake contour map or Gps (I think it is a must have) and a color sonar to make it more efficient. When the bottom reads one depth and the graph shows a thick mass of what you might think is debris or lots of fish it is usually shad I have found them 10 feet thick at this time of the year. And like they said Your net will have to reach the bottom to be effective.

9. Lawrence Bridges

Lawrence Bridges New Member

State:
    sc
    deep water can shred nets be careful!

10. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    In the winter i find about 20#'s of shad in my freezer.

11. Haftafish8780

Haftafish8780 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I have always found them in flood water by the spillway