Finding Shad but few bites

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by GMC FishHauler, Dec 25, 2006.

1. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Yesterday we found lots of shad in one area and the fishfinder showed lots of big fish underneath them. We drifted cut shad over and through these fish for hours and only caught one 16lb blue and had only 2 other hits. Is there something else i should be trying? At the end of the day we ancored upwind and casted into the area that showed shad and fish but no better luck, just couple more hits. Any ideas on what to do next????

2. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    C'mon, i know someone has some helpful info for me.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

James sometimes the fish just have lockjaw. If you can see the fish but they are not biting I would just try other spots tyo find the activly feeding fish. Sounds like those fish were either full are just not feeding at the time.

4. jeremy

jeremy New Member

State:
    kansas
    try changing or alternating baits sometimes theyll eat one bait and turn there noses up at another

5. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un

I was thinkin they might be full since they were camped under the shad, but the big blue i caught had no shad in his guts.

6. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I tryed drifting worm over them at same time as shad. My buddy was using DK punch bait when we were ancored up, i was just stumped!!!

7. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    If you are drifting the baits with a float do not have your bait at the same depth of the baitfish but under the baitfish as the cats will feed off of the baits thats injured and fall below the active bait school. Also place some baits on the bottom as well as the cats will take those off of the bottom for the most part during these cooler water temps. Also keep in mind that they will not feed 24 7. But you will likely get majority of your bites during the morning and afternoon and evening hours. If drifting is not producing like you want to than its best to take up position at a spot that will likely hold some blues or have some cruisers that typically around structure and is in deep water or close to deep water in a dropoff. These are the holder areas that you can count on.

8. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Recently, been having better luck (more bites) on baiting the hook with shad heads. Cut the head off an average size shad just in front of the dorsal fin (gets part of the stomach sack). Run the hook through from the bottom lip of the shad through the head or cross ways throguh the "nose" area. Our catch rate over the past couple weeks has been more than 2 to 1 using heads compared to shad fillets or just cut shad.

9. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    I have been having the same problem untill yesterday. For some reason the same fish I have been marking on my fish finder was bitting good. I have been marking these fish for over a month with little to no luck. I was using hole shad.

10. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    It's a fact that the fish will follow those schools waiting for an easy meal. As the water gets colder and the shad die faster, the fish fill up faster, and since their metabolism is slowed by the cool water, they don't feed as often.
    Now, I am secretly developing a new top-secret bait that will mimick injured or dying shad, slowly sinking to the bottom, and releasing a secret formula that entices the catfish to bite, even when they aren't hungry (got the idea from watching my teenage grandson and friends when they pass through the kitchen). As soon as I have it ready for the market, I will also become a proud sponsor of the BOC, and members get a 50% discount.
    :big_smile: :big_smile: :wink:

11. catfish101

catfish101 New Member

State:
    nc
    fished santee a few year back bait thick not doing very good 50 feet of water we fished shallow 12 to 15 feet down got on fish two trip in a row
    thread fin was dieing off blue cat were gorging them self on the shad flutting to the surface fish were 20 to 50 lbs try this if water temp is below 45 catfish are not allways on or nere bottom in winter

12. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I think i might know 2 of your secret ingredients.

13. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC

I agree. Sometimes they are just inactive! But you could try free lining some shad and cut their tales off making them leave a blood trail in the water that will turn cats on to feed. It is hard for any predatory fish to resist a bleeding prey!

14. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    James,

Just a thought, but maybe you're drifting too fast. For all I know, you could be using drift socks and being extremely careful with your speed. But if you're just drifting across the lake and aren't getting hit by the good fish you're marking, then my guess would be your drift is too fast. The smaller fish will chase after a bait this time of year, but the bigguns just lay there & will only eat the bait if it is SLOW.

Like I said, I may be talkin' out my ol' rectal cavity about something that you don't have a problem with whatsoever.... then again it could actually help you. Good luck anyway. I feel your pain!

Jerrod

15. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    jarrod,
    i was thinking kind of same thing.
    we had better hits when we were ancored so kind of points in that direction.

16. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I fished today and found that if I used small pieces of shad, the white cats would hit it, if I used bigger pieces, the blues would hit it and I threw a wildcard in there and chunked out a white perch head and landed a 46 lb. blue on it. When they get finicky like that, you can still catch them, you just got to think a little out of the box. Try this next time you find some fish like that. Tie on a hook and no weight to your line and throw it over the fish and let it flutter down through them with your clicker on. This is the most natural looking bait there is and sometimes even inactive fish will hit it. Also, it seems around here that when the water gets cool, the fish seem to nold tighter to the bottom and aren't willing to chase baits much which will make drifting worthless. see ya