Finding larger flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by jagdoctor1, Apr 8, 2009.

1. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Ok first thing to say. My goal this summer is to catch a trophy flat or two. Last summer was my first real flathead chasing season and I learned alot. Personal best is only 26lbs but I caught many. I would even say I got quite consistant.

I've pondered this for along time and wanted to post it, always had trouble figuring out how to word it. I'm still not sure.

I would like to know from those of you that have caught trophy flats, do you feel that a spot that regularly produces flathead of all sizes up to 20 for you is a worth your time when your goal is a trophy. Or would you rather spend your time in a spot that seems good but hasn't produced for you because it may hold a larger fish? I'm fishing mainly the Colorado river but want to hear from everybody, Thanks ahead of time. This has bounced around in my brain for along time.

2. Shane Edwards

Shane Edwards New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    find wood some current and throw a mud flat in the mix and put in the time and the big flatheads will show up we catch a lot of flathead 20 and over especially went you find big brush in open water and it doesnt have to be in deep water but deep water is usually nearby, Keep good live bait!!!!

3. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Our river is not natural like yours. It is completely channelized with rocks on each bank to control it. Wood is scarce. Thanks for the advice though I do have a few brancy spots locked in my head. One of them happens to be one of the consistant spots from last year.

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Fishin a river like that would be hard. If the depth is pretty consistant and there isnt any structure you will probably have to just sit and wait. Ig you are already catchin some nices ones where you are fishin I would say you have a chance there.
    In a channelized river look for any knid of structure, even if its a single rock, and fish those.
    Bait and Wait, They will come!!:smile2:

5. FlatheadDreaming

FlatheadDreaming New Member

State:
    Grain Valley
    Flathead fishing is anart all within its self. I find myself chasing them all year long depending on water temp. All of my most productive waters for the big ones require a few things. In a lake around the time they spawn i look for a rather shallow 5-10 feet deep cove with a bunch of stumps, right off he main lake with some deep water or ledges neer by and a feeder creek. I will anchor in a location where I can cast out to the deeper water or ledge, and cast a few in the stumps and one twords the mouth of the feeder. I know they say they clam there territory but once we find what spot there in we keep going back. Last year a buddy and I caught 12 in the month of june all over 40lbs in the exact same spot. They can be picky too sometimes bigger perch are not always better.

6. wormybass3

wormybass3 New Member

State:
    pinson, alabama
    sounds like you might need to create your own structure.we used to do this for bass.you can use pvc or wood . i would try and put it where everyone else won't see it.

7. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I know the colorado and have fished it hard. Its a very good river for flats. You have a good spot, I would continue to fish it. I had a spot like your talking about a couple of them and they ended up producing trophy flats. If your fishin for trophys and not numbers up size your bait to huge bluegill and 1-2# carp. You will not catch as many fish but you will get bigger fish.

Look for places that have drop-offs in the colorado and fish all around these areas in different depths. My favorits spot was at a Y where the river branched off, I would fish down stream from it. You dont have the same kind of structure we have out east but there is structure such as rock banks and certain types of grass in the water. I found a sunken car in one of the canals and use to fish it, that was my hot spot. Keep fishin you will get your monster.

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I catch big flats out if my home river on the biggest baits possible. Legal bass, saucer plate bluegills, and arm-length suckers is what I like to send down.

9. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    If you are catching 20lb and under fish in a river environment 85% of the time, you need to look at what drew these fish here, then look for smaller areas with the same attributes. There, you will find the larger cats. Big flatheads tend to push smaller flats out of their territory into less desireable spots. This is why you catch smaller ones there. That's not to say a big one won't cruise thru 15% of the time. But then you have to fish that spot every day all year to contact him. You have the basics down, now you have to start the "fine tuning".
    Fishing all that rock will require different rigs, and looking for the biggest boulders, small slackwater eddys behind points or outcroppings, maybe deeper holes? Not being familiar with you river puts me way behind the curve, but if you can find the smaller ones the larger ones are just around the bend. It took me 3 years on my own before I started catching 30's and 40's.

10. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    Wow SMan You really know your stuff.Thats why we would be a heck of a team. .I always say Im going to look for these things.But always go to the same spots an catch Tuttles.Now Im on the hunt for Big cats. I guess i should find these spots.Listen to Sman,He always has good advice.

11. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Thanks guys. s_man the term fine tuning is exactly what I am working on. Mostly trying to get a feel for how long people who have caught bigger fish are willing to sit in a spot that hasn't produced anything to try it out.

12. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    I imagine that the colorado is a pretty rocky river so I would say find a spot on the river that's fairly deep 6-10ft and has a lot of big rocks that will make underwater holes. the flatties will sit in those rock holes epsecially during the day time and if the food is plentiful they'll sit through the nite. At night you may want to move to a shallower sand bar just down or up from the bigger rocks. And may I suggest trying some big live goldfish fished on a 3 way rig, I've always done good around rocks and rock piles.

13. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    this is a really good thread and really great info. thanks to all of you folks.

14. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Only two ways to catch a "trophy" fish. Dumb luck or paying your dues by putting in as much time on the water as possible. Paying attention to water levels, temps, structure, time of year ect. You need to mentally file that info away and drag it out when selecting where and how to fish.

Learning the patterns of the flats in the water system you fish is one of the biggest things you can do to put yourself in a good situation to catch a "trophy" fish and the only way to do that is time on the water paying your dues or fishing with someone who has.

good luck and patients

15. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA

I agree 100% even make a journal of all the above statements...the river will change every year so miner adjustments will need to be made.

16. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    feeder creeks after a good rain(a rain that makes the river rise) are hard to beat! seams like all the predators are there for the feast.:wink: if my life depended on a good flat the next time i went thats where i would be.lol if you cant wait till the rain comes, a big jamb in a deep hole in the daytime is a good bet too.