Finding Idaho catfish in the cold

Discussion in 'LOCAL IDAHO TALK' started by brasmunky, Jan 11, 2007.

1. brasmunky

brasmunky New Member

State:
    mo but live in id
    Hows it goin? i have lived in idaho for about 5 years now and i cant seem to find the cats when it is cold. i am from missouri and i am used to being able to find them any time of year but they seem to pack up and head south for the winter around here. we have tried deep, shallow,around irrigation pumps,the river under the spillway...................... you get the idea. if anyone can tell me where they are it would be much appreciated.

2. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    I caught a small Channel Cat thru the ice yesterday at Hauser Lake near Post Falls. What part of Idaho are you from? Im no Cat Fish expert but we have a couple of lakes up north here that have Cats. There is a lot better pickings in the southern part of the state. Its good to see some one else on the Idaho forum. We are definately not on the front burner for Catfishermen........

3. brasmunky

brasmunky New Member

State:
    mo but live in id
    i live on mountain home air force base. catfish are definatly on the back burner in this state. i dont know about up north but most people i talk to around here say that catfish are trash. i just laugh and tell them that leaves more for me. what do you ice fish for? me and a friend caught about 60 rainbow thru the ice today. nothing big but it was fun anyway. how much ice do you have up there? we have anywhere from 5 inches on the lakes in the valley to 28 at about 4500 feet.

4. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Several of our lakes have 12" of ice. Today and tomorrow are warm... highs near 40. Then its supposed to cool down again for a while. I have been catching perch, blueback and a few trout.
    The catfishing I did down that way was at Steck Park on the Snake River not far out of Weiser. Good catfishing in that area if you get a chance to try it. Good luck...

5. brasmunky

brasmunky New Member

State:
    mo but live in id
    we go to steck park quite a bit during the summer. it would be nice if it was a little closer. cj strike res. is about 15 minutes from my house and has pretty good fishing. the cats are not as big but we usually catch 10-15 in a average night.

6. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Good luck finding them. Im hoping to take a little trip down to Stech Park around May or June. Right now I have been ice fishing most every day. Doing great on the perch and trout. Looking forward to some catfish....