Finding fresh bait before catfishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by wolfman, Mar 3, 2009.

1. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I know there have been times that it took a good part of the day to locate and catch fresh bait just for a few hours of catfishing. Have you experienced times like this?:0a36:

2. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Sure have. Either have a plan B and/or C. Been there done that, too many times. have learned my lesson.:smile2:

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Yes Sir I have, and all to often, especially when water temps go down. I went ahead and made my own gill tanks at the house and I keep it stocked most of the time.

Gills/bream are the easiest to keep alive so it wont take a lot of work. I wait for a day where temps are up for a few days and I go bait-fishing for the tanks.

If any gills die in the tank I remove them and into the freezer they go...they have saved my butt more than once ; )

-Jim-

4. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    On those rare days when bait is easy to find I freeze bags of it so when I go out I have a small cooler I keep my frozen bait in..if I can't find fresh bait I will not waste any more time throwing that dang net and use frozen. Seems like my spots where bait is plentyful one year has nothing the next!

5. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Late summer and early fall are the hardest times for me to get bait like bluegills, but I can usually always find some creek chubs.

6. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    We usually take along some nightcrawlers but have started freezing gills. We wrap them individually in plastic wrap, then put them in a ziploc bag.

7. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    ill take other baits with me that way i dont have to waste all day on finding bait,or ill freeze some,either way its good to have a backup.

8. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I fish live bait for flatheads and have found that on days when its almost impossible to catch bait the big flatheads are biting.I dont know what the connection is but feel like there is one.

9. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    i try to always have some worms or livers or frozen shad with me now.about 5 years ago i decided to go bank fishing at new river, it was around 11:30 at night and i had no bait. made about 25 throws with the net and nothing. i thought no big deal, there was a walmart about 10 minutes up the road open all night. they were out of chicken livers and nightcrawlers, and i've never even gotten a bite on stink bait so i wasn't going to buy that. so i went out to my truck and got a bait bucket and went back in, i got the strangest looks when i went to the pet section and bought a dozen small goldfish. ended up catchiong some cats that night afterall.
    chip

10. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    We have been getting minnows and useing them when gills are not around. Also good for crappie when the cat bite slows:wink:

11. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Here in GA I experience that everytime I go fishing. Actually, if it were not for frozen bait, I would not have done any fishing down here. I am really struggling to find the bait here, although everyone assures me that it will come "in a couple of weeks!!"

12. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I never have a plan.I just take some doughbait my castnet and some mealworms.Between my 3 kids ,my wife and myself I usually get bait before to long if not then we just carp fish :wink:

13. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    That's what makes flathead fishing the most difficult of the 3 major catfishing categories. You have to get to A (baitfishing) to get to B (actual catfishing). Without fresh and live bait, you mind as well make some wheatie balls and go carpfishing!:cool2:

Most blues and channel guys can get frozen whatever from the freezer. channel cat guys have it easier with livers, worms, hot dogs ect.

Most hardcore flatheaders have bait tanks were we keep bait in advance especially if we know it's gonna rain and the bait spots will be futile.

Late fall when the flatheads really bite is the worst times I've ever had catching bait.

14. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Nothing worse than being out on the river and trying to get bait as it's getting darker and your not catching any.

15. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Been there before. When I lived in WV, I'd start in the morning catching creek chubs and suckers with a small 4' cast net in shallow creeks. Then head to the local state park with a small lake and catch a dozen to 15 bluegills. By 5pm I'd have a good variety of live bait to fish with all night.

16. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i'm having that problem now:eek:oooh: i'd like some live bait to try this weekend

17. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I don't ever plan on getting fresh bait here on my home lake. I allways take my net. But I also take a few quart bags of frozen shad and cut filleted carp,Just in case.:wink:

18. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I went jug fishing a few years ago with out much notice and planned to
    buy bait at the river. When I got to the river I went to several bait shops
    and no one had any shiners or bait of any kind except english red worms
    ( the kind that when they see a hook they stretch to about the size of a
    pencil lead ha ha ) It was 9 at night and the grocery stores were closed
    so no liver. I went to Wal Mart and found some Berkley Power Bait Blood
    flavor and liver flavor. I gave it a try and did very good with it. A lot
    better than I expected. I caught some blues and channels. I now keep
    some power bait in my boat just in case.

19. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    If I bring a backup bait I will catch all that I need. If i don't bring any backup, I will spend all day trying to find some. Seems the way it usually works for me.

20. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Yes I have had that happen on several times. Spending hours trying to catch bait then to only come out with a few sunnies (bait). Then only to get snagged and lose the few precious baits you have gathered in a matter of minutes. Best to have a bait tank set up for those occasioins. Also have a few different bait spots. One might prove to be bountiful one day but futile the other. Also as someone has mentioned on those hot 90+ degrees days it can get a little tough...