Finding Fish (and keeping them)

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by Raven Blayde, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Raven Blayde

Raven Blayde New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm really getting confused bigtime and driving myself nuts on this one (I'm sure I'm not alone either). This year I was hit with the "Monster Catfish" bug and have been hitting the Kentucky river pretty hard. I've been out there every weekend this summer (rain or shine) to try to learn where and when to nail these things. I don't have fish finders or any fancy gear, just doing it "Old School" for the time being. Anyway, what's really throwing me off right now is finding the fish and keeping them. For example, I have a nice spot picked out where I have caught 90 percent of my cats this year (including my first ever 20lb Flathead) and can almost always catch at least something even when I can't find fish anywhere else. Most days (or nights) I'll do really good in this spot. But other times, I won't get a bite at all. For example, last saturday night was when I caught my big cat in that spot (3:30am on Bluegill). Last night, I went right back to the same place (with Bluegill) and fished all night without getting a single bite. After daylight, I started hitting other places that SHOULD have produced something (mouths of the creeks, rock banks and higher current areas). Nothing!!! Only thing I caught was one Sauger (on a bluegill) :confused2: After 12hrs of fishing, I headed home empty handed (and confused). :sad2: Did the fish leave the area and move somewhere else, or were they still there, but not wanting to bite? The water level hasn't seemed to effect the spot much from what I've gathered from this years findings (I've caught them when it was up, down, muddy or clear, raining or sunshine). I'm just having a heck of a time trying to learn this river and where I need to be when I get there.

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Simply narrow it down to one thing. "Some nights are better than others.":wink:

3. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    catfish are no different to any other fish. all year they are in different parts of the spawn, post, pre and holding. therefor, different parts of the year they are going to be congregated more or less in some areas. also, the water temp, depth current and in lakes wind can really effect where these fish will be drawn to. then to top it all off like CATMANAJ said "some days are better than others."

4. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    first off do you have access to a boat? if so you may want to "drift" the river with a couple of rods setup with different kinds of bait, this way you are moving around and also giving the fish a different menu item. But wehn it really comes down to it they are finnicky as the next fish...good luck

5. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Bobby that's why its called fishing not catching :wink::smile2:

6. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    might want to try different types of baits not just one,its good to have a variety.maybe they just didnt want a bluegill at the moment but something else,might need to mix it up a little.

7. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Maybe they arent all hungry. I dunno good luck

8. Raven Blayde

Raven Blayde New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Yeah, I guess I shouldn't expect to catch them every time. I did try drifting and trolling all over that darn river (spent 12 hours covering about a mile area), but still nothing. I guess they just didn't feel like hitting anything. Maybe the fish will be in a better mood next weekend. :wink:

9. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    THEY ARE HARD TO CONSITANTLY CATCH UP HERE AROUND RICHMOND . THE KY RIVER IS WHERE WE HAVE TO FISH . I HAVE FISHED ALOT OF BETTER RIVERS THAT I REALLY DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT AND USUALLY DO BETTER . IF YOU ARE TARGETING FLATHEADS YOUR FAVORITE SPOT MIGHT HAVE A MONSTER THERE = LESS FISH OR YOU MAY HAVE CAUGHT THE BIGGUN THERE AND IT MAY TAKE A WHILE TILL ONE REPLACES IT . JUST SOME THOUGHTS.

10. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Isnt that river fished to death by commercial fisherman?

11. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Not in Richmond area anyways most commercial fisherman in KY fish Barkley and KY lake and the ohio river . Not much commercial fishing elsewhere that I know of.

12. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    if you were catching them on or near the bottom one day the next day try that same spot but when you drift very ur depths. like me ill set one right near the bottom then one 5ft up andsometimes ive even been in 40ft of water and set one down 10 to 12 ft under the boat and had that work ... they wont always be at the bottom. that includes flatheads. the other night we had about 10lber flatty hit a 8 inch live shad basically trolling.. we were repositioning the boat for another drift in 40 ft of water and this thing hit it at about 20 or so feet down moving at a good speed. shock me when i seen the rod go down ...thought it was a striper at first. just try and vary your depths ... do things you normally wouldnt do while fishing and sometimes that is the key. adapting to what the fish want.