Finding Channel Catfish in Wood Cover

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by JMarrs328, May 13, 2006.

1. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Is would cover along the shore of a river a good place to find channels, or is it too over fished these days?

2. terrycook3

terrycook3 New Member

State:
    minnsota
    hi,wood is good!-gl to you

3. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    What kind of wood should i look for? Like logs and big timber, or large branches. Should there be leaves or not?

4. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I wouldn't worry about leaves too much. I usually go upstream on a fallen tree, and there is usally some driftwood caught in it. I'll cast downstream towards the mess of wood. It is usually a great spot to pull channels out of. Any place where there is a decent sized mess of wood sover would be a good place to try.

5. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I've caught a lot of channels drifting nightcrawlers, minnows, small chubs, and cut bait under a bobber in about 2-3 feet of water around logs and driftwood that are caught on the bank.

6. pursuing_cats

pursuing_cats New Member

State:
    Clarksville,Tennessee
    Any kind of cover is good. You may be surprised that you can pull flats out of cover also, so be prepared for anything.

7. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Since I bank fish a river, my main question is... Is the wood cover right along the shoreline to overly fished to be a productive spot?

8. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    It's usually overfished for crappie and bass, but the cats are usually still hanging around, the ones that usually get hooked in those types of areas are accidental with crappie gear and get the light line caught up in the sticks. A lot of channels I catch around heavily wooded shoreline areas usually have small #4 hooks still in their lips.

9. catfishingRon

catfishingRon New Member

State:
    Earlville, IL
    When fishing the Illinois River I always fish the wood cover. I have alot better luck fishing them. I have a few spots that I have never been skunked. In the hot days of summer its a good idea to just go from brush piles to brush pile or tree to tree and fish each one for about 15min then hit the next one.

10. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    You will catch lots of channels in near the bank off wood. All kinds of logs trees laying along the bank and in the water will hold them . And in a week or so until mid June here you can catch them here throwing up in 1' of water and catch channels that will average 5 lbs . And when they hit you will see part of the fish come out of water.
    Theres so many people that don't think the fish will move up that shallow. but I do it ever year. And most are caught a few feet from the log down stream of it.
    Pete

11. BigOleW9

BigOleW9 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've heard of one guy actually driving his boat on top of log jams to get closer to the holes.

12. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Yeah, I read that too!! It was in a NAFC magazine from like 6 years ago.

13. catmancats

catmancats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i know the cats around here are getting ready to spawn in a few weeks when the water temp gets a lil higher.... My biggest fish come from 1 to 2 feet of water beside and around logs or in the undercut of a river ....... I alway return the females who i think havent laid yet and always return the males since they are the ones who protect the nest .....

With that being said i usually fish as shallow as i can year around during the day but i night i tend to seek out deeper water since the cats will be on the move during this time.......