Finding Channel Catfish in a big river?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by tricitycatter, Jan 1, 2010.

1. tricitycatter

tricitycatter Member

State:
    Washington
    I was wondering if any of you can give me some tips to find where channel cats can be found. I do not have a boat (that runs) at the moment so the majority of the time I bank fish. I have found online nautical charts of the rivers I typically fish so I can find out what the general depth is where I intend on fishing. The only thing I need to do now is get some info on the type of structure/depth that you would typically find the channels at. Any advice would help. Aside from the spawning areas I know of finding them big ones after the spawn has proven to be a bit difficult. I do hope to get some $$$ to get a '72 Evenrude 9.9 running again so I can use a 12' Valco my In-laws have. Need to get a new tank & the carburator rebuilt I think, I rebuilt the whole bottom end last spring & had it running for about 5 hours then it just crapped out ( runs at 1/4 the power now). So like I indicated the bank is where I'll be barring an influx of $$. Looking foreward to any advice.

2. katmax

katmax New Member

State:
    griffin ga
    try fishin in ariver bend where the water cuts into the bank....hope this helps

3. tricitycatter

tricitycatter Member

State:
    Washington
    Tnax Katmax, I have heard that they like to lay up on some big flats just down from the mouth of small tributary that are about 15' and have a gravely bottom, they are right off a 40' deep channel that is real wide. Seeing that we are a major Wheat producing area the Snake & Columbia are dotted with Large Grain Elevators that load barges. Would those also be good spots to look for bigg cats in the summer?

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

That sounds like a great place to find them! I'd say they'll definitely be feeding around the spilled grain.
    I usually have good luck around rocky areas. Try a slip float right above the rocks with worms, cut bait or smaller live baits.
    Mouth of feeder creeks after a rain are also a great place to try.
    Good Luck!!!:cool2:

5. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Brian, I'll give you what advice I can, not sure that it will help because I'm not familiar with the rivers you fish. Here on the Mississippi when the water temp goes above 70 the channels actively feed along the bank lines, most of the time the banks adjacent to deep water. I fish from a boat, but you can do this if you have places that you can walk the banks. Rig a slip float and a stop knot with a split shot right above the hook. Fish about 16 to 24 ins deep and let the rig drift in the current about 2 or 3 feet from the bank, use what ever type of bait works, I usually try Crawlers first, but cut bait and even small shrimp work well.

6. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I also agree with the bends of a river , I try and find a gravel bar close to deeper water.If it has brush on it that is a plus.I have found the most active fish will move up and down the gravel bar feeding.Good luck

7. tricitycatter

tricitycatter Member

State:
    Washington
    Thanx Andy & John, I have not thought abot doing that on the main channel of the Columbia. I do use slip bobbers for steelhead & in the back water spawning grounds I fish with great effectivness. Since we live in a high desert it gets well above 90 4 months out of the year, not sure what the water temps get to since the rivers are deep & mountain feed, but I will see if I can get one of those pole munted fish finders i saw @ cabella's.

8. catfishchris

catfishchris Active Member

State:
    missouri
    When I lived in Idaho I made the six hour trip to Washington to fish the Snake for channel cats. It was the closest place I had to go catch catfish. I would fish the flats adjacent to the channel edges. I bank fished exclusively and caught a lot of channel cats. There weren't very many people fishing for them at the time, and they were easy pickens! I did my best from July through September. I had my folks ship dip bait to me and it worked like a charm. Earlier in the summer I caught them on cut suckers that I caught in the Snake using worms. Good luck!

Chris M.

9. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Outside of river bends. Where ever a smaller river or creek flows in. Behind structure, natural or man made; like bridge supports. Just my $.02