Finding Catfish Anywhere

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by fisheater, Jun 3, 2008.

1. fisheater

fisheater New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I need some help in how to locate catfish on a River, Lake, and (not so much) Pond. Been catfishing all my life but I am looking for some general tips on where to look. I have fish finders but dont know how to use real well. I thought I did but..... It just seems everytime now when we go out we are outed. Please Help. Anyone. What should I look for on the fish finder. What kinds of depths should I look for. What rigs are best used where and when. All of theses are questions I am looking to get answered in one place. I know they are all spread out here and I have read ALOT of useful stuff but just need it explained to an dumn redneck like myself. Thank you guys so much. The BOC is the best website ever.

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Everything is relative to a certain situation. There are too many factors to put into the equation. Alot of it is preference too.The best advice I can give is to get out there and do some fishin. Most good fisherman will tell you that. You need to learn the "lay of the land" in your area. Seasons and temperature play a huge role in it all. I would suggest reading some of the articles here on the BOC and maybe find someone in your area to show you the ropes. Most is learned from experience and you are the only one that can do that.

3. fisheater

fisheater New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks for the help. I totally agree with you. But it seems like I go on the River and think I know what I am looking at or for and end up empty again. WHAT IS GOING ON?

4. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    What are you fishin for, what bait are you using and where are you fishin at?

5. fisheater

fisheater New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Mainly Alabama River around Montgomery. Have used stink bait. Sun fish. Shellcrackers. Things of that nature. I grew up pond fishing so the whole "big water" thing has just been the last couple of years.

6. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Logjams produce well for me during the day and just before dark for both flatheads and channels. Look for deep holes next to flats. If you are after big cats ditch the stink bait. If you are after smaller ones use the dip bait in shallow water.

7. fisheater

fisheater New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Okay. I will definitely try these things. I have read alot about DK dip bait for the smaller cats. What is your opinion. When you say shallow near flats can you explain a little bit more. If I am asking too much tell me to fly the proverbial Kite.

8. fisheater

fisheater New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Sorry I meant deep near flats.

9. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    My $.02: A "fishfinder" won't make you a catfisherman. Leave it at home, and go out and learn to catfish.

Once you're rockin' the kitties, then break out the sounder, and tweak your game.

10. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Dave gave some solid advice. Most of todays great catman learned how to catch fish without one. It is a nice tool to have but not one you want to rely on. Outside bends in a river are normally deeper and collect debris. The inside bend is usually a flat. On sandy rivers there will be a sand bar. I dont use stink bait but know alot of people who do, and they catch alot of eaters with it. IMO it works better in lakes then it does rivers. From what I have heard DK bait is not the same as it used to be and is a waste of money.Live bait and fresh cut bait should serve you well.

11. fisheater

fisheater New Member

State:
    Alabama
    The whole fish finder thing doesn't do much good anyway when you really don't know how to read it like myself, so I can handle not using it. Thanks for this advice. What do you think about using sunfish and various other minnows caught out of my pond at home and used in the river? Will it work? Should I fish on bottom during day and shallower at night or different. You guys are alot of help already.

12. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    You can catch cats on just about anything, including a bare hook, occasionally, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try to match the fish's preferred food.

Unless I miss my guess, in the Alabama River, that will be shad and skipjack. Don't take my word for that, though, ask around, and find out what most people are using. When you do catch one, examine the stomach contents closely, and, to borrow a term from the trout fishermen, "match the hatch".

Live 'gills are a good bait, especially for flatheads, but they just aren't numerous enough in a big river to make up the bulk of a catfish's diet.

13. fisheater

fisheater New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Great point I will "match the hatch" If I can ever catch one that is.

14. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    Another good tip would be to hire a catfish guide that fishes the waters you are wanting to learn. You can learn a great deal in just one day on the water. It may cost a little more up front, but it will be money well spent. Let him know that you want an instructional type trip and what your expectations are. He can teach you several methods and techniques used to locate and catch catfish under a variety of conditions. He can also cover such items as tackle, bait, rigging, using and reading a fish finder, gps, topo maps, understanding how wind, weather and current affect the fishing conditions and locations. There is no better method of learning than time on the water with a quality instructor.