Finding Bullhead Catfish in Virginia?

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by Otter, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Otter

Otter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'd like to use bullheads as bait for flatheads. Where should I go to find them? Lakes? Rivers? Creeks? Ponds? I haven't caught a bullhead since I was a kid (20 years) so I'm a little out of practice.

2. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Otter,

Depending on what part of Virginia you live in, you might want to try the local flood control ponds, and lakes first.

3. Otter

Otter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm in Charlottesville, so I'm looking at the Rivanna river and some lakes and ponds in and around town...

4. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    OK, there should be bullheads in those ponds. I don't know about the river, though, it seems more of a smallmouth river. For bait, you should try worms, or hotdogs, those are the baits I have had very good success with catching bullheads.

5. Otter

Otter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try...

6. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Otter, you are welcome. Once place you might want to try, though it is a bit of drive are the Powhatan ponds located off of Route 60. There are three ponds, one is called Bullhead pond, due to the high number of blueheads in it, though all three ponds contain bullheads. If you go the VA Game and Inland fisheries webpage you can find out more information on the ponds, and directions.

7. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    With the exception of one Bull I caught in Smith Mtn. Lake, all the bullheads I've caught here since 1979 were in farm ponds. A co-worker and I spent a weeks vacation going around the area looking for good looking ponds, asking for permisson to fish and were suprised that most of the owners said "Yes". A couple didn't want the bass removed but were fine with keeping anything else. We must have fished 12 or 14 ponds in seven days and caught so many fish that after the second day, it was catch & release. Our freezers were fulll! We had a blast.

8. Ripper

Ripper New Member

State:
    Virginia
    If your still in need of bullheads,I can put you on as many as you can haul,ranging from 6-14 inches,and if you feel like getting wet,i'll show you how to handfish for Madtoms(EXCELLENT flathead bait)!!

9. Ripper

Ripper New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Forgot to mention,I just live across the mountain from you in Elkton

10. Ripper

Ripper New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Otter,sorry i can't send you a PM(not enough posts yet) but anyhow i work a weird schedule also with alot of weekdays off so throw some dates my way and we'll see what i can do.

11. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've been catfishing down on the Potomac River about 5 times now and caught more bullheads then anything.

I'm about 3 hours from you though.

~
    Brian

12. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Brian, what part of Virginia are you in? I used to live on 23rd St. in Arlington and fished where Cristal City is now. I delivered papers all along the river down there as a kid. There used to be a dump for the phone Co. there, (just downstream from 14th St. bridge) and behind that was a lagoon where 3-4 big pipes dumped water into the river. We'd just hold a landing net under one of the pipes and in no time it would be full of shad. Then we'd fish all night in the lagoon there and catch some nice cats 5-10 pounds.

13. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    flathead Willie,

That lagoon is still there, I believe it is called Roaches run now. I fished it when I was a kid, never did catch anything out of it. I lived in Arlington in the 70's lived on Cleveland Street right down from Fort Myers.

14. Ironhead

Ironhead New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I fish on the Potomac on Fort Belvoir. I catch bullheads, I call'em mudcats, all the time. I would have to say on a good night I catch 20 or more of those little suckers.