Finding and catching leapord frogs

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Boedonvito, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Boedonvito

Boedonvito New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    O.k. guys heres my dilema I am about the biggest fan of useing big frogs for big cats as your gonna find but due to Nebraska state regulations you are not allowed to catch bullfrogs out of season and during bullfrog season the body must be almost 5 inches. From fishing this summer I realized that tons of bullfrogs live in this bay I fish at so I try them and have great success problem is its not legal to do. If anyone out there has a knowledge of where and how to catch the leapord frogs that would be great cause they are legal to use, bait shops around here typicaly dont sell them and even if they did I fish so much I would just end up buying them all. So to make a long story short I need to catch my own Leapord frogs but have no idea where to look for them or the tools I need.

2. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    I use then all the time. The best way I have found to get them is wait till it is very dry.(ground and grass is dry) This will keep them near water. and go at night with a flashlight. shine the light in their eyes and you can slip right up and catch them with your hands or use a small net. Best places to find them are new pounds with no fish and not much vegetation yet. They may be way up on the bank or right down next to the water. I hope this helps....Rusty

3. Boedonvito

Boedonvito New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I got me one of them big old black and decker hand held rechargeable spot lights but havn't found a extension cord rated for a high enough voltage to keep the thing charged. I heard you can also find them in ditches along the country roads where they get run off from a irrigated field any truth to this you imagine?

4. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    Yes! You can find them anywhere there is clear clean water. I normally just head out and look anywhere that i can think of with water. all pounds,lakes,rivers,ditches with water in them will have a few frogs. You don't need a real bright light. I just use a good flashlight. I don't use frogs this late in the year. The cats just don't seem to like them as well. Something else I do after I put my frogs on the hook is to mash them up a little so that you get more smell in the water. Hope this helps.....Rusty

5. Boedonvito

Boedonvito New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Thanks for the info Rusty one of the big reasons I fish with frogs even this late is because the bank spot I frequent is a Bull frog power plant with thousands of bull frogs in this backwater cove which is split in half by a rip-rap rock levy I couldn't dream of a better holding area where the food is so abundant and so large in some cases.