Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you guys looking for when searching for a prime flathead spot? For example, if you're looking for bass during spawn you want to find shallow water with deep water access close by, sandy/pebble bottom, etc... Catch my drift? I've been out numerous times now for flatheads and have had minimal luck and I would be inclined to say that it's because I don't know my ass from a hole in the ground when it comes knowing what a good spot would be. Any info you have as far as depth, structure, fish patterns, parts of the lake to concentrate on, or anything else would be greatly appreciated! Don't want to G.P.S. coordinates to your secret spot, just want to figure out what a secret spot looks like so I can find my own ;)

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I always keep in mind the flats go where the bluegill or carp are in the night. The shelves just outside the coves as the water shallows, possibly to intercept them as they enter the coves. Dropping any live bait in the channel out of the comfort zone of the baitfish may also entice an opportunistic eater. There are many ideas, these are mine. Good Luck!

·
Registered
487 Posts
:dont-know:Thats a tough question. I mainly fish bart and have fished it for so many years that I know the lake. I try to get to the lake when srp draws it down to look at the shoreline when it is high water. I look at cover, depths,river channel and then make a mental note.
What are you guys looking for when searching for a prime flathead spot? For example, if you're looking for bass during spawn you want to find shallow water with deep water access close by, sandy/pebble bottom, etc... Catch my drift? I've been out numerous times now for flatheads and have had minimal luck and I would be inclined to say that it's because I don't know my ass from a hole in the ground when it comes knowing what a good spot would be. Any info you have as far as depth, structure, fish patterns, parts of the lake to concentrate on, or anything else would be greatly appreciated! Don't want to G.P.S. coordinates to your secret spot, just want to figure out what a secret spot looks like so I can find my own ;)

Thanks!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Bro. I have seen this question so many times on this site, i fish flatheads on a regular basis, and I have come to the conclusion there is set in stone place for these fish to be. I start out tring deeper areas, log jams, drops, and old river beds, if avaiable, this is my day time pattern, at night, i fish shallow flats, the head and tail of a hole, that holds fish during the day, and if its quite and pretty much everyones gone, this is my late night hotspot, any boat ramp on the lake or river, when people leave, leftover baits ends up here and the cats know it, when things quiten down the cats come in for the feast, when flathead fishing think preditor, and a preditor lives for the ambush, and a good ambush requires a place to hide keep this in mind, and good luck.

·
Banned
3,910 Posts
just starting and thinking of quiting. that makes a lot of sense. NOT!! i started hunting flatheads back in early 70's. i can count on one hand the number over 25 i've caught. still listening to people and learning. all advise given so far is great. wish i had the ramps close to fish them. luck and stick it out. the fish will come. beg Rob and maybe he'll let ya go with them some night. (just don't mention canals to him cause he's touchy LOL)
gary

·
Registered
279 Posts
just starting and thinking of quiting. that makes a lot of sense. NOT!! i started hunting flatheads back in early 70's. i can count on one hand the number over 25 i've caught. still listening to people and learning. all advise given so far is great. wish i had the ramps close to fish them. luck and stick it out. the fish will come. beg Rob and maybe he'll let ya go with them some night. (just don't mention canals to him cause he's touchy LOL)
gary
Wow, since the 1970s, thats cool. Would you say the fishing is better or worse?

·
Banned
1,183 Posts
gary
Ha LOL, I can't promise no fish bro! I have been skunked last 10 times I went out. I do know a spot that is almost gauranteed to get on, it won't be big, but it would be between 5-10 pounds.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
think if you take all the info from this thread and are just persistent it will happen, time with line in the water is the only true answer .

Different places different times of year. Go out, fish all night and take notes. I've looked all over for an easy answer but you never quit learning things.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Pee in the water during the day in the same spot to warm up the water and them come back later that night if you don't catch em, piss on em...err... again. Hahahahaaa just kidding, everything everyone said is great info, except for mine of course.

Different places different times of year. Go out, fish all night and take notes. I've looked all over for an easy answer but you never quit learning things.

·
Banned
216 Posts
COME TO BART AND LET US KNOW WHEN U GOING SO WE CAN SINCRONAZI TE FISING TIMES AND I WILL SHOW U "THE HONEY HOLES' TE ONES THAT EVERY1 KEPT SECRET FROM ME HAHAHAHAH. YEAH CHAD I REMEBER U SAYING THAT U DONT GIVE AWAY UR "HONEY HOLE" AND NOW U OWE ME A FISH

·
Banned
2,114 Posts
COME TO BART AND LET US KNOW WHEN U GOING SO WE CAN SINCRONAZI TE FISING TIMES AND I WILL SHOW U "THE HONEY HOLES' TE ONES THAT EVERY1 KEPT SECRET FROM ME HAHAHAHAH. YEAH CHAD I REMEBER U SAYING THAT U DONT GIVE AWAY UR "HONEY HOLE" AND NOW U OWE ME A FISH
You know it's funny you say that cause I can tell you u haven't fished my honey hole lol sick pervert

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.