Finding a Good Catfish Spot (On the Potomac River)

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Spongiform, May 29, 2006.

1. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    So - Went camping this weekend with the girlfriend again. Camped out on the potomac river and did some catfishing at night. This time we choose an 'easy' spot to camp and hoped it would be good catfishing too.

Wrong! Now it wasn't horrible - they were biting - but few and far between. Biggest was a 5.5lb Channel.

Now the last time we went - they were biting so hard and fast you didn't even need to set your pole down!

So I tried to figure out - what's so different about this spot (about a mile upstream from the good spot). We floated about 2 1/2 miles down stream. I swam back and forth across the river over and over checking out the terrain and depth. To my surprise most of the river is pretty shallow. varying from 2 to 5 feet deep. Around our recent campsite it was no deeper then 3 feet anywhere close by.

Downstream by our older campsite (the good one) it averaged about 5 feet deep most of the way across - but close to shore - around 5-8 feet out it dropped off sharply - There's a "ditch" of sorts that's not very wide - maybe 10 feet deep and 15 feet wide filled with fallen trees (explains why I was getting snagged so bad too!) and also the water is much much cooler then the mainstream. It was also generally deeper on that side and part of the river - around 7 feet or so.

So I guess that's a better habitat for the catfish? Last time I was fishing there I would get bites usually with 30 seconds to 2 minutes after casting - I gave up setting the pole down.

Only real downside is there is not much room to cast. Low hanging trees and not much room left-right to cast due to debris in the water. It's also kind of a pain to get up on shore there -like 2 feet of funky mud right at the water edge.

Pain in the butt or not - I'll be there next weekend if the weather is decent!

I'd be back out there tomorrow if I hadn't forgotten our sun tan lotion - we're both red as lobsters and I'm sore as heck from all that swimming (then backpacking with all the gear home!).

~
    Brian

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Sounds like you both had fun anyway!!! I see you use the accient type of depth finder, LOL!!!

3. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Figured a picture was worth a 1000 words.

#1 is the first campsite spot
    #2 is the second (last nights)
    and #3 is our landing.

The Map

It's about 2.5 miles from #2 to #3.

The dots show the 'deep' channel along the bank I found.

Neat eh?

~
    Brian