Finders keepers?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by smokey, May 11, 2009.

1. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    We have had a flood along the Tennessee river. The water is going down now.and I have a question. Lots of neet things have been floting by my place, If this stuff isnt marked with name or Id numbers is linda like finders keepers? Sat. a great big homemade barge came by.It had a grill on it and a diving board.Looked like it was 30 feet long? what are the rules of stuff that gets away from people from a flood? smokey

2. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I think I'd keep it till some big ol' dude came by to claim it...:smile2:

3. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I dunno about a 30' barge, but for most of the stuff it is going to be impossible to identify an owner, and it will otherwise just end up becoming more river trash.

4. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Unless it has been registered and has some type of identification on it such as an id tag or serial number of some sort and the people that claim it has a title of some sort how can it be properly claimed????

On the other hand I would want to return it to the rightful owners if I could... and would hope that some others would do the same for me if I were in their shoes.

5. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    My buddy up on the Blue River calls it "Marine Salvage".
    :smile2:

6. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Zalma Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    No ID number or registration number, or name, it belongs to wherever it lands. If it is of any value the original owner may put an ad in the lost and found in the paper. It sounds like it was a floating swimming or boat dock. It probably would cost more to retrieve it (by the orig. owner) than it was worth. If you can use it - use it.

7. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Smokin' Joe. I'll go in halvesies with ya. I got a place to unload all that kinda stuff.

No names, no tags, no nothin'. Chicago the place Joe. Chicago ripe for this kinda action. We will get rich. Put your waders on, I'll be down with my trailer.

8. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    John that baby was big enough to have a gathering on it. smokey

9. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Idunno...I think most anything would be fair game in that situation. Not sure, though.

I do know that I called the Department of Revenue to find out where they moved the License Bureau to this time, and on their recording, there was a number to push to get info on obtaining a lost title for salvaged or abandoned vehicles and trailers. I don't know why a barge would be any different. If you retrieved it, you might run it in the lost and found section of the local paper for a couple of weeks, then try to apply for a lost title do to it being abandoned...if it's worth it.

10. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well it wasnt a barge after all. It was the tee end to some guys dock, He found it about 8 miles down stream.he was pulling it back with a pontoon with a small motor. He was going about as fast as old people, ahh crossing the street. I bet it took him 10-12 hrs to get it back. Better him then me!
    smokey

11. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    i often look at it this way if aint nobody lookin for the stuff then does it truely have a respectable owner but be sure to check the lost and found adds just to cover your tail