finder loses signal on plane

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by JohnK, Dec 30, 2009.

1. JohnK

JohnK Member

State:
    ga
    I have a 2005 Tracker 175 bass boat with a factory installed Lowrance depth finder. This depth finder reads fine at idle speeds but when at plane and going down the lake, even slowly, there is no reading. I have been told turbulence from the ribs on an aluminum boat cause this. Has anyone personally experienced this in this same type of boat or do you have a depth finder that works all the time. If you have moved your transducer and it began working I would like to know where you moved it to. I don’t really want to hit or miss drilling holes all over the boat and I would not like to buy a thru the hull transducer and find it doesn’t work either. This boat comes as a factory assembled unit and I hate to think tracker marine deliberately installed a piece of equipment that they knew would not work properly from the get go. If it’s the boat hull, then no need to buy a bunch of depth finders that won’t work either. Thanks for any assistance.

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    That is correct. MANY boats lose signal when on plane due to turbulence. There is not necessarily a better place to mount it to cure the dilemma. The through hull type mounting may be the answer. Hopefully someone here can tell you for certain.

Bill in SC

3. tswebb71

tswebb71 Member

State:
    So. IL
    John, since you have an aluminum boat a "through hull" transducer is out of the question. However, there should be some adjustment on the transducer. You should be able to move it up or down. I would try to move it down a little and see how that works for you. You might want to take a straight edge, like a paint stir stick, and tape it to the bottom of your boat with about 3/4 of it sticking out the back of the transom beside your transducer. This will tell you how much transducer you have in the water when you are on plane. That should help you in deciding which direction to move the transducer and which direction.

4. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    John,
    Lowrance is probably the best of all the makes at showing a good sonar return at speed. If it's a 2005, have you had it from new has it always been bad or is the boat new to you?
    I would bet it's a case of adjusting the position and/or angle of the transducer . Does the bottom of the boat have strakes or rows of rivets? It's important that the transducer is not in line with them but between them. Post some pictures of your transducer, maybe we can spot the problem...W

5. katmax

katmax New Member

State:
    griffin ga
    i have a small alum. boat and had the same problem....i moved the transducer down one click,now the only time it messes up is if i hit something or trash gets on it...hope this helps...:big_smile:

6. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I have a tracker deep v 17'. I had the same problem. What I did to fix it was in the settings. I cranked the ping way up. More often than not,its set too low to send and receive signals while running fast. Now,I can run 40mph and still see everything.
    Oh yeah,I have the Eagle 640c sonar/gps unit.

7. JohnK

JohnK Member

State:
    ga
    Man, that's what I call a lot of good help. I'm gonna try all of those and see what happens. This is a great forum, thanks to all and if anyone has anything to add Thank you too.

8. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    I have a 2001 bass tracker and had the same problem. I also had a problem with the unit locked up on the demo mode. Never could get it reset, so I bought a new hummingbird unit and it works great. I used the originall tranducer spot as well.

9. Smokin

Smokin New Member

State:
    Ca
    If you could post a picture of whre the transducer is mounted I can give a more acurate way to cure the issues. I have seen them installed wrong at the dealer many times.

10. JohnK

JohnK Member

State:
    ga
    There is a triangular ledge across the width of the boat, I could move the transducer 2 inches toward the out side and down 1/4 inch and be less affected by the ledge. I believe I will lower and raise the pings before drilling new holes. The strake is about 5 inches toward the middle from the present mounting. I didn't see a way to edit the first post so I hope someone is still following this. Thanks a lot for the help.

Attached Files:

11. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Well just looking at the thumbnail picture it looks like the transducer is above the water line when on plane and that is what creates the problem.

The transducer is molded together if you look at the transducer from the side you will see a line when the two half's come together that line has to be below the hull of the boat for the finder to pick up the signals, when I click on the picture my screen goes to black and I see nothing so I'm just looking at the thumbnail...........Doc

12. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    John,
    Try the adjustments to the settings; you just may get it to work but that transducer installation looks like it couldn't be more wrong to me.
    The boat shop who fitted it there should have their arse kicked...W

13. Smokin

Smokin New Member

State:
    Ca
    Lower that thing down all the way down and try it. When my transducers are that high up they wont work right.

14. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    every boat ive ben on if you hit somehting like a stick of something it will read like rediculus depths because it is piscking up the shore then when it maxxes out if shuts off...

15. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Hey JohnK... Welcome to the BOC from Los Angles... change the depth of the transducer or turn up the gain....or both

Happy New Year

16. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    It is a little unclear from the picture but it look like it is mounted high, and also the shape of the hull may be causing air bubbles across the face of the transducer. Lowering it may be a good place to start if the settings don't work and I don't feel confident that they will. The transducer needs to be fully submerged to give the best reading and bubbles will drive it crazy.

17. gambler

gambler New Member

State:
    Oregon
    I have a 2008 tracker 175 and have been dealing with the same problem. I had to put the transducer down on the hull and not where they mounted it because of the water turbulance coming off the back of the boat hull. Mount it between the bottom of the V and the rib in front of the motor and it should work fine at full speed. This is where tracker says to mount the transducer on these boats for best results. Why they mount them where they do is beyond me. They don't work under power there.

18. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken

12-30-2009 08:21 PM #2

If I'm not mistaken that is a flat spot / ledge you are reffering to right behind your transducer correct???

If it is ,IMHO that is the problem right there.. We received a booklet from hummindird after we sent and got another transducer for our boat, showing, different types of hulls and transoms showing the places that would cause turbalance caused by shapes and angles.

And by the looks of it the transducer is right inline with that ledge you were refferring too! Think about the turbalance that is caused when the water rushs under the hull up the transom then hits the flat/ledge then shoots back over your transducer on its way out the rear.

Again IMHO from what I have read and seen in the pictures, that will cause alot of turbalance / bubbles that will pass straight over the transducer causeing your failure to read.

19. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    OK, the transducer was mounted the cheapest possible way. Not in the best spot either. Get yourself a transducer mounting plate. Cabela's: Cabela's Transducer Mounting Plates
    Glue the plate down and put some screws through those handy holes you have in your hull. Then you can move that transducer as much as you want and no more holes in your boat. It is ridiculous to just drill random holes in a hull of it is being done "professionally." You want it straddling the ribs. Depth maybe as deep as the ribs. Tweak the angle and it'll work fine.