Finally

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Jerry60k, May 31, 2008.

1. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Well I have been pounding the water since late March and until last Monday hadnt caught a single flathead.

Last Monday I managed to catch a small 5-6 lb fish down around Charleston.
    Last night I managed to get a couple real good size sucker chubs and finally got into a decent fish up around Glasgow

28.5 around 40 inches long and plum full of eggs.Then I managed to get in a second smaller one again around 4-5 lbs.

It looked like a circus down on the river bank I bet there were at least 20 people about half who had ran after thier cameras.I think I know what it must be like to have the Paparazzi after me :smile2:

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42270&d=1212243098

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :cool2:Good story.and great catch.Now that you broke the ice so to speak your fishing season hasjust begun. Did you smile :big_smile:real big for all them camera's?:wink:

3. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Congrats Jerry on the 28.5# Flatty! :cool2: Paparazzi, lmao! :smile2: It is always cool to see the look on peoples faces when they see a big Flathead! :big_smile:

4. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Lol this morning is even better half the town is running around showing pictures of me and the fish shame they wasnt there for the 1 in my avatar last year :wink:

Good thing they didnt see any of the gar we caught either last year the news station probably woulda showed up :smile2:

5. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Way to Go Jerry!! At times those Flats can be Elusive to say the least.Congratulations My Man.J.D.

6. BIGcatjakeJR

BIGcatjakeJR New Member

State:
    ohio
    this is my first year fishing for flats and im having trouble fiding them,can somebody help me find em:embarassed:

7. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I know how you feel I havent caught one flat this year yet but when it gets warm out side I know Ill catch some monsters. Good luck to ya.

8. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    BigcatJake use some live bluegill or such fish at night around some dead trees or some kind of cover, make sure the area of water your fishing at has flatheads and be patient when you start flathead fishing it can be frustrating. I would try going to the baitstores around your area and talking to the older guys this has always helped me especially when you cant find the spots. The old guys know what their talking about.heres some reps for joining the BOC.

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats a nice Flathead.

10. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    :0a1:Nice work Jerry....Glad the hard work paid off....A fellow member caught a large one a few weeks ago...and a paparazzi ensued...

11. radish

radish Member

State:
    ms
    good fish and story thanks for the pic.

12. John6518

John6518 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Jerry--I though stories like this just happened to me as a stupid beginner. Josh (my four year old) and I fish in a VERY urban area with Million dollar plus homes over looking the lock and dam. Plus there is a recently constructed walking bridge over the lock and dam so there are tons of the "young and beautiful" crowd that are walking, cycling, jogging, etc. in the area as a place to see and be seen.

I had never caught a really big fish. Until about 6 weeks ago the very nigh a major tornado hit Little Rock. The weather was still nice and it was about 7:00 pm. We had cast out a four inch live shad we had netted on a 7/0 hook, five ounce sinker, 25 pound test line. I was about 75 yards out into the river just below the "point" of the lock. After a few minutes, rod nearly doubled in two, then became perfectly still. I tightened the line--nothing. Josh watched the pole like a hawk, it started twitching. I thought we were hung, twitch was just from the high current and a log and hit he line causing the pole to double. I picked up rod to try to pull out of the debris, jerked the rod, and the line took off to the middle of the river, stripping 75 yards of my reel like I was tied to a freight train! Some of our new found cat fishing buddies--highly experienced--came running over, told me to "let er run."

They started whooping and hollering so loud that we soon had a crowd of walkers, runners, cyclists, etc. By the time I got him in I had 50 people standing around. I have received calls from friends I ahve not heard from in years, who got a cell phone picture forwarded to them. I fought him for 25 minutes, finally got him turned, and stared slowly "humping" him in. Thank goodness for the leverage of a 12 foot heavy action rod. Huge, huge current. He was too big for the surf net of my buddies--I don't have a gaff--so one of my new friends jumped in the river (he is a "noodler") hooked his arm through his gills, and climbed the bank (that's a real man). He has free legal services for life, and I suspect, may need them. The flathead catfish tipped the digital scales at 28.6 pounds.

Anyway--loved your post and story.

John Holleman

13. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I fish this place all the time and have caught much bigger but that night everyone was out enjoying the weather after a nice rain shower.

Some people act realy amazed or scared that there are fish that big its kinda funny.

14. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Congratulations on a nice solid Flathead. Its always nice to break the ice!

15. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Jerry, nice fish hoss. Looks like your efforts paid off for you.

16. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    congrats on the nice flathead. Now you broke the seal your ready.:wink:

17. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i know how it is jerry, i caught a 40 pound flattie by a gas dock. by the time the fight was half over people were running from all directions. i thought i was going to get beat up releasing it, it pi$$ed a lot of them off. if they had been cool i would have given a little fishing seminar right there and a gear display, but because of the attitudes, i said i got it on a jig and minnow and 6 pound line. then i bailed, fast!

congrats on your first biggun of the year.

18. JRicker

JRicker New Member

State:
    Tenessee
    Since you are famous can i have your autograph? You can put it on a 5000 dollar check :wink:

19. BIGcatjakeJR

BIGcatjakeJR New Member

State:
    ohio
    than:wink:ks for the help..bro