Finally!

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by FREESPOOL, Nov 1, 2007.

1. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Put in at mel price today. We didn't get there till about 2:30 this afternoon. After we got the boat in I saw that the 3 tainter gates closest to the locks were closed. :crazy: I knew I had to get over there and fish.
    There was hardly any current to speak of. We threw the anchor out, and the back end of my boat actually swung around facing up river. And half the time we were sitting there, the anchor rode was slack.
    Anyways.... within 15 minutes of having our lines in, my buddy has a fish on. He got it up to the boat and we were trying to get it in the landing net and the leader snapped. :angry: It looked to be at least 25 or 30 lbs.
    2 minutes later my pole bends over. Turned out to be a 39 lber. Not 5 minutes later my buddy's got one on. It turned out to be a 38 lber. :big_smile:
    10 minutes after that, I pull in about a 5 lber. And then 10 after that my other buddy pulls in a 46 lber!! 10 minutes or so later he catches a 16 lber.
    Then they open the gates up, and the bite stops. :sad2: NOOO!!!
    So within about an hour or a little more we had over 140 lbs worth of fish in the boat. Not including the one that got away.
    This was the first time my two friends have been out on the river fishing. I told'em they haven't put there time in!! They didn't deserve to be boating fish like that in your first hour on the river! :wink: Me and my dad have hours and hours out there leading up to this!! LoL. To bad my dad wasn't out with us.
    Anyways, heres a few pictures. Can't wait to get back out there!! :big_smile:

Attached Files:

2. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Here's a couple more.

Attached Files:

3. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    I didn't figure it out quick enough. Congrats on the catch.

4. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Thanks... yeah, I didn't think I'd ever see the water like that at the dam. I wish I had gotten out there sooner. Cause the bite was on!! We were all sweating, and ear to ear grins, tripping over stuff. It was a good time. :big_smile:

I talked to a guy pulling his boat out at the ramp and he did pretty good on crappie and bass. He had 3 nice bass and 8 crappie I think. Nice sized crappie too.

5. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    No sense in trying to sleep tonight. You won't be able to. And just think that the next 20 times on the river you will remember those rods doubling over, so the incentive will be there. You shouldn't have any trouble bringing your buddy back!

I called my buddy immediately upon reading your post and read it out loud. Batteries are recharged and we are ready to hit it again. We've already dismissed the previous 5 crap trips and think about 'what may have been'. Congrats again. You deserved it.

6. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Awesome fish Dan. Great pics. man Way to go!!!!

7. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    That's awesome Dan!!!

Glad to hear you got into them like that! It's a whole lot of fun when the bite is on and you keep reeling fish like that in!

Way to go!!

8. brandonleeraab

brandonleeraab New Member

State:
    louisiana
  9. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Yeah, it feels good to release them too. My buddy looked at me like :eek:oooh: when he saw me put that first fish back in the water. I think he had a hard time grasping the reasoning behind it. lol

10. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Reps to ya for that as well Dan!!!!!!! They just won't let me do yet!

Tell your buddy, "my boat, my rules"! :smile2::smile2:

That's what I do!! No fish allowed to be kept that weigh over 7 pounds! Yet to date, I haven't had anybody keep one, not even me!

11. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Oh yeah! I can't believe you got away with it for so long :crazy:

What was the bait of choice for the day Dan? I'm Shocked you left that information out!!! Shame on you! :big_smile::big_smile::tounge_out:

12. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO

I have just found that there are to many other fish that are not nearly as fun to catch, taste better, and grow much faster, that I would rather eat than a big catfish.

Just a shame that everyone doesn't think like us.

13. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Well Dan that is one hell of a trip! Congratulations on a great day on the water. I think maybe now Is the time to ask to be your anchor bi*ch:big_smile:

14. roughneckcatman

roughneckcatman New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Missouri
    Sounds like alot of fun!! Congrats on the fish and thanks for releasing them!:smile2: Thanks for sharing the pics also:big_smile:

15. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Now, THATS what I call knocken the dog @#$% out of em. Way to go Dan!!!! Thx for sharing your good fortune and the photos. Thx a million for the releases. May you catch those nice females again with another 40 pounds on em. Nice Work!!!!!!

16. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Thanks for the pics. Looks like s a great day to me.

17. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Thanks for sharing the pics and the story. Great catch's man!! REP on the CPR too!!

18. sportscar02

sportscar02 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Way to go son, If I couldnt be there Im glad it was you.:wink:
    You deserve to catch a few, you have put in the hours.
    We will be back out there soon.

19. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    ALRIGHT DAN!!!! Way to slay 'em. You have put your time in for sure. Theres nothing like being on top of them when they are bitin'.

WOOT WOOT!!!!:dribble:

Cheers to you all the way from OKLAHOMA!!!!!!!!

Except that.........You should have called me Dan!:look_down::doubt:

20. oh_darn

oh_darn New Member

State:
    Nixa, MO
    good job. and those are some nice fish. id kill to be able to have that kind of action.