Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
Bill, in OkC
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally, after 2 years, I hooked up on this beasty today. Weighs about 5.5#.
Of course, I had the Lew's rigged for sunfish: 8# line, #6 hook. So, that's the one he decided to get hooked up on.
Grass Terrestrial plant Terrestrial animal Groundcover Wood

·
Premium Member
Bill, in OkC
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Bill, my Lew's seems to be my "lucky" one. I've caught more on it than any of the others.
This flatty today, my PB cat for the year, and the 8 1/5# large mouth ( my PB over all for the year) included.

·
Premium Member
Bill, in OkC
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bet that was a hoot on that light pole!
Oh yes.
But, the good thing about it, it was only about 4' from where I was sitting. Then the bad thing, the water level is about 3' below normal. So, I was a bit worried that the line would snap before I got him over the edge. (There's a concrete wall with the top of the wall, more or less, level with the dirt.

As the fish came into view, I saw the dark colors and wondered,"What the heck kind of catfish is this?"
Never saw one that dark.

·
Premium Member
Bill, in OkC
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
By the way, Steve, that's the same rig I caught the 8 1/2# large mouth bass on last month. Now, THAT was a bit of a struggle.
But, where I caught him... no wall. Just a bit of a "beach."

·
Premium Member
Bill, in OkC
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Congrats Bill!!! That's a good looking fish there sir!

You've still got time this season to find his grandpa :)
And I WILL be out there looking to put a hook in his lip. Or even his inner cheak like the one yesterday.

·
Premium Member
Bill, in OkC
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WTG ! A Pretty one at that !
That's a coloring I've never seen, or heard of on a flathead.
If you look back at the bass I caught last month, it's almost the same coloring on both fish. And no mud or anything stuck on either fish.

Reactions: eldwva

·
Registered
551 Posts
Most of the " mottled" ones I do catch come from clear"er" waters .A lot of Largemouths that come from muddy waters appear to be almost white . I think I read somewhere there skin pigmentation van change accordingly.

·
Premium Member
Bill, in OkC
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Most of the " mottled" ones I do catch come from clear"er" waters .A lot of Largemouths that come from muddy waters appear to be almost white . I think I read somewhere there skin pigmentation van change accordingly.
Hmmm. Lake Overholser is mostly dark (muddy) water.
The bass and flathead are the darkest specimens I've ever seen.

Reactions: eldwva

·
Registered
390 Posts
I've never really been able to make any correlation between color and any specific factor, other than ,in the fall when I fish deep, every once in a while I'll get a super bright golden/orange colored flatty. But even then, may catch a bright orange one, then the next fish is dark brown.

Thinking about it, I guess it does seem like the younger fish tend to exhibit the mottled patterns more, where I fish at least. Wonder how quick they can change color, are they pigmented like humans, where we are generally 1 color scheme with relatively slight variations based on environmental factors, or are their bodies able to change fairly quickly, based on their environment?

They definitely exhibit broader color /pattern variety than most species, in our waters at least, wonder how much of it is genetic and how much of it is environmental.

·
Premium Member
Bill, in OkC
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The flathead I caught in 2019 was just a little darker than yours, Denny.

The picture of my latest flatty was just after dark. So, that might contribute a bit to how dark it looks.
But it was pretty dark in color.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts