Finally!!

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by dolphinswmmr, Jul 6, 2009.

1. dolphinswmmr

dolphinswmmr New Member

State:
    kansas
    I went out last night to LSFL and turned out to be an interesting night. Went with some friends and decided to take the boat. Made it there about 7 pm and got all set up on a bank spot. Hubby took his friend and his little boy out on the boat. They weren't out ver long. My son spent about 3 hours on the bank catchin gills for bait. Around 10 put gills on the poles and threw them out. Hubby and his friend took off in the boat and headed to the feeders. I sat on the bank with his friends wife til about 12:30 with not even a bite. Hubby comes back with 2 channels about 2lbs. This is the 6th trip I haven't gotten anything. And he comes back with 2 fish. :embarassed: The friends decided to head home. We stay on the bank and continue to fish. I'm ready to throw my poles in the water and quit. I'm done, I'll be back in a month when they are done spawning. I haven't even gotten a bite and he has 2 fish. To make it worse the feeder I'm fishin by doesn't go off at its scheduled time. It has been sprinkling on and off the entire time. I am miserable by now. :sad2:Then out of no where about 4 am wham. My pole gets hit hard. I manage to hook it and its pulling drag hard. I'm trying to reel it in but not making much progress and then I get snagged. I'm stompin and cursing up a storm. :angry:Suddenly I feel a yank on the line. The fish is still there, but I can't reel any line or even pull him closer. I figure he's hiding under a rock and I can't get him out. Hubby jumps in the boat and trolls over to my line. He manages to get the fish in the boat. It had wrapped my line around a tree stump and gotten itself tangeld up in someones line that had broken off. Hubby gets my line untangeled and comes back to shore. When I see what I had actually caught I was overjoyed. :roll_eyes: I hooked a 5lb channel!! First fish in 6 trips. I am no longer wanting to throw the poles in the water. The feeder goes off just as hubby is headed back with my fish. I'm thinking well maybe I can get another one now. That was the only fish I managed to get this trip. But I feel like a fisherman again!!! I finally got a fish.:big_smile: Yeah Me!!!!!!!!:smile2:

Attached Files:

2. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Angie, I cant tell you how many nights in the past 5 yrs Ive went out and sat all night and not even a bite. Seems like 6 out of 10 times I go, nothing bites. Thats just fishing. Youve been keepin at it, and you got rewarded. It is definitely a patience game. LSFL should be gettin alot better here real quick. The big boys should be off the spawn soon and real hungry, so now is not the time to be discouraged. Congrats on a nice channel. Youll get a bigger one outta there before the season is over. I know it. Good luck to you. :big_smile:

3. dolphinswmmr

dolphinswmmr New Member

State:
    kansas
    Hubby keeps saying your time is coming just be patient. It's just makes it hard when he always gets at least one fish. The man that won't even touch the damn things and he always gets at least one. I'm just going to quit takin him that way I don't feel as bad when I get skunked :smile2:.

4. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Congrats on the catch!

5. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Sounds like you need to set your drag just a touch tighter, Angie! A little
    longer rod might give you a bit more leverage, too! First of many, sis!
    Good job, Hubby!

6. dolphinswmmr

dolphinswmmr New Member

State:
    kansas
    I had the drag as high as it would go. Hubby is going to look at it and see why it wasn't resisting like it should. Thanks!

7. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Angie congrats on your fish...

Thx for the picture..

8. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Congrats Angie. I know how you feel on gettin skunked. Its happenin to me alot this year.:sad2::smile2:

9. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Congrats, I'm still feelin your pain though :sad2:.

10. Mosquito Bait

Mosquito Bait New Member

State:
    Gardner, Kansas
    Nice fish Angie. I'm glad to see your dry spell is over. It can be pretty frustrating not catching something, especially in the last six visits. A little patience and perseverance are good traits to have when fishing. Thanks for sharing the picture of your catch.

11. Dead Red Rick

Dead Red Rick New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Congrats Angie nice fish

12. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    6 times in a row with no channel cats? Try different bait turkey liver will get you a lot more bites than live bluegill or a different lake.You might try chumming with fermented soybeans. My specialty is channel cats in small lakes. I haven't been doing too well lately. I was out for 5 hours this morning and only caught 14 channel cats. Right before I buggered out I did get one 12.7 but you don't get much of a pic when you are by yourself...it doesn't even look that big laying in the bottom of the boat.That was my worst trip down there {Pleasonton }ever. I probably won't go down there again.Takes too much gas and my wife is still out of work. But I'm sure I can put you on a few fish if you wanna go some night. There is an all nighter on July 27[Saturday} at Shawnee Mission. Last time Troy and I caught about 20 fish with 4 over 8.5.We were out about 5 hours. See Shawnee Mission thread.

13. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
  14. dolphinswmmr

dolphinswmmr New Member

State:
    kansas
    I've used different baits at this lake. I used liver, shad, worm, gills, dip bait. My husband gets at least one cat every visit. I just don't get any. I even started making him bait my hooks to see if I am leaving an odor they don't like on the bait. At this point I will try anything. I guess I will just have to go out in the boat from now on. I don't seem to do any good from the bank.

15. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    Good job Angie. Nice looking Fish.