FINALLY!!!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by tiny b, Jan 18, 2009.

1. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Some of ya'll know that I work in Alaska and yesterday the sun came up for the first time since the end of November last year. It was only up for a few minutes but everyone looks forward to the first day. I think it will be up about 42 minutes today. If you think the winters suck where you are come up and try one 200 miles inside the Artic circle. Tried ice fishing once but it was too hard to move the boat around.

2. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Alan, I bet y'all do a real Happy Dance up there when those first rays appear in the sky! whew, I cannot imagine goin that long without some sunshine... although it seemed like we came close some winters up in northern Michigan.
    Places like that, you need some of those S.A.D. lights, just so your body doesn't go kerphlooey from lack of natural light.

Glad you had a sunny day and thanks for tellin us about it!

3. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Zalma Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    I worked up there back in the 70's on the pipeline. I also tried ice fishing. Did really good but everytime I tried to cook it - it turned to hot water. The best way I found to prepare it was add coffee and boil.

All kidding aside - seeing the sun after so long it instantly lifted my spirits. Hang in there till spring and then you will see the sun blocked out by the mosquitos.

4. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Know what ya mean Tiny, it gets old don't it. Where you workin, Pruhdoe?? I lived in Fairbanks from 87 to 97...used to run up the haul road a couple time a year chasin them caribou. Always was a relief to get back to coldfoot and get a hot meal and some coffee....:cool2:

5. Philiagorillia

Philiagorillia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Haha, sounds like me at work! I get to work by 5-6am and i dont leave usually till around 6-7 pm, so i never see daylight except for the weekends if i get a day off lol...

6. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Yeah I'm in Prudhoe Bay. Been coming here since '87.

7. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Alan, I remember that from Thule, Greenland in 1955.

8. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Well stay warm Tiny, summer will be here soon and you'll have more daylight than ya know what to do with..lol How have the lights been this year??? Hard to explain to people who haven't seen them but north of the Brooks range is some of the most spectacular northern lights you'll ever see.... I was always amazed at their beauty up there. I miss that place....:cool2: