Finally washed off that SKUNK!

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by SwiftWater, Jul 21, 2006.

1. SwiftWater

SwiftWater New Member

State:
    Central Virginia
    I feel like a new man, lmao. I've been flathead fishing 6 times this year with no luck, but tonight that all changed. I got on the Staunton river at 6 pm and headed upriver to a spot I've been wanting to check out. I hunkered down and fished it for 4 hours without a single bite. Frustrated would be the term to describe how I felt. So at 10:30 I pulled up anchor and headed back down river 1/2 mile to a spot that has produced some smaller flatheads in years past. I anchored the boat in a likely spot and tossed out 2 goldfish. About 10 minutes passed and I got a steady pull on one of my rods. I disengaged the clicker and let it free spool for a few seconds then set the hook. From the feeling of the fight I knew this was going to be a good fish. No sooner than I started battling this brute I hear the other clicker sounding off. I don't have rod holders in my boat yet, plus I was solo tonight. To make a long story short I had one rod in my hands fighting one fish and the other was between my knees. I was switching between the two rods in attempt to some how pull off this double. I finally got the first one boat side and used my free hand to net it. I hoisted her into the boat and reached down and grabbed the other rod
    from between my legs and fought it for a few minutes and finally was able to lip her and pull her over the gunwale. I snapped a few quick pictures of the 2. The 1st one weighed 20 pounds and the second was 22 pounds according to my Rapala Lock'n Weighs. They both were released to fight another day.:cool2:

Does anyone know what that WHITE stuff is on the head of the fish in the net?

Fish in net 20#'s
    Fish I'm holding 22#'s

Attached Files:

• 18.JPG
      18.JPG
      File size:
      68.4 KB
      Views:
    • 15.JPG
      15.JPG
      File size:
      33.8 KB
      Views:
  2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

congrats on the catch. glad you got that skunk off of you it was starting to stink up the place lol. nice looking fish.

3. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    nice catch and a good memory to go along. the old 2 at once story.

congrats

4. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Good for you, as for me, I'm still pretty smelly.:crazy:

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Very nice fish brother, I am sure glad ya found some. They are still hiding pretty good from me here in Ohio. LMAO

6. etownred

etownred New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Congrats man. Nice flatheads.

7. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Nice fish, congrats on the catches!

8. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    Nice looking fish congrats.
    The spots on the head of the one look like it might be wounds healing from a spawn.Just a guess he/she'll proble live to fight another day.
    Loop

9. Nightprowler

Nightprowler New Member

State:
    ohio
    Nice fish dude,That white spot on it's head likely occured while the fish were spawning going up under a log or rocks to build a nest.

10. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Very nice! Congrats bro. Nice Flattie

SudDawg

11. Sandy Meador

Sandy Meador New Member

State:
    VA
    Very nice! Great story - I was sitting here visioning fighting one in hand with another rod stuck between two knees! I bet you laughed pretty good when it was all over! Good pics!

12. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    W.T.G And thanks for sharing with us :smile2: ,.