Finally tried it

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by BKS72, Jul 20, 2009.

1. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Been threatening to fry up some of these Asian pests for a long time but just haven't gotten around to it.

John (Countryhart) was nice enough to come up this weekend and do some fishing and in the course of showing him the Asian aerial display we wound up with several carp in the boat. Since we had more than we needed for bait and neither one of us is real squeamish about sources of protein, we decided to fillet and score the extra ones out and see if they were worth eating.

Long story short, Saturday afternoon found both of us so full of fried Asian carp we couldn't hardly move. Aside from me not scoring them quite deep and close enough we couldn't find anything wrong with them. I wouldn't feed it to the boys because of the bones but I sure won't have a problem in the future putting the knife to a couple of extra ones while I'm cutting up bait and bringing the fillets home for myself.

John, thanks again for coming up, I had a good time fishing and even though the cat bite was nonexistant we still managed to get us a mess of fish:big_smile:

2. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Good to know! I just might have to try it next time they fly around me.

3. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    got bigger balls than i do!! can't make myself try a carp!!

4. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Glad to hear someone tried em. I am one that will pass on them lol.

5. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    So how was it?

6. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well Branden I wish the fishing would have been better for you and John, but congratulations on the Asia Carp Cuisine. I hear you can pressure cook them to get rid of the bones. YUM,YUM!!! Now get out there and get some more, Don't be Greedy theres plenty to go around!!! LOL
    :smile2:

7. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Rob it was pretty good stuff - I was pleasantly surprised with how good the taste and texture was. I think if I get a scoring board made and take my time I can get them to where they'll fry up about "boneless" like a common carp would.

Maybe I've got some issues for eating the dang things but they're not bad at all :big_smile: Nice thing is all I need for bait is a little gas for the boat and the bite is rarely slow:smile2:

8. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    another way to get rid of the bones is to smoke it. i have had some carp before, and allways found it to be rather tastless as fish goes. but if you smoke it you can really get some good flavor into it and the bones out.

9. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Brandon is right, they ain't bad vittles at all. If a man likes buffalo he wouldn't know the difference. Heck i may try some shad next time around.:eek:oooh:

Brandon, i appreciate the hospitality and all the effort you put forth to get us on fish. Nobodys fault they had lockjaw, the cold front shut em down and thats part of fishin. I kinda see it as payin dues.:wink: I feel like i came out a winner just the same, seein new ground is always a good trip in my book. I had a great time but the ride home was rough due to sleep deprivation. Next time, i'm bringin an air matteress.:smile2::smile2::smile2:

10. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I have had them before and what we did with them was fillet them out and cut out the big chunk with the rib bones and keep that. Cut that up into pieces about 2-3 ribs wide the cook that. Then the only bones in it are the big rib bones that you can just pick the meat off of.

11. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    That is good to know, I still don't think I'm going to eat 'em though:big_smile:

12. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    I had seen that article in the Conservationist a while back talking bout how good they were to eat and I figured they were just saying that to get people to keep 'em. Now I know better. Thanks for being the guinea pigs, next time I get a jumper, half for me, half for the cats!

13. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Brandon knew in his hart i think that i don't cull much as far as vittles. Like i told him i'll try 1 bite of anything. Nothing to loose but a few minutes time, some meal an grease. Snow white meat, no mud line,,,and even i can catch em.:smile2:

14. stump jumper

stump jumper New Member

State:
    illinois
    "BRANDON"please ....stop it ....never eat the bait!!!!!

15. stump jumper

stump jumper New Member

State:
    illinois
    B.E.A.......bait eaters annoymous:0a19::0a19::0a30::0a30:

16. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    There' more to lose than that. Old fishing buddy tried spoonbill eggs right from the fish while we were cleaning them, then followed it down with a big ole bite of raw meat. He lost his lunch, too:eek:oooh::eek:oooh::smile2:

17. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Have tried it and they really don't have a bad flavor.Of course Rusty fixed them and he's a master at frying fish.It is a good solid piece of meat.
    Anyone who hasn't tried Carp don't knock it till you've tried it.Might be surprised.

18. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Heck, survivor man would think he hit the jackpot with some fresh bait, i mean asian.:eek:oooh:

19. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I should of came up and helped you guys drink the beer!! :wink:

20. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Should have J.C. - after a few of Augie Busch's best you might have even tried some of the fish:smile2:

Now, anybody know if skipjack is better dredged in egg and cracker crumbs or will plain ol' cornmeal work? :eek:oooh: