Finally they start biting again. BUT DANG THOSE GAR!!!

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by flatheadhuntin, Aug 18, 2009.

1. flatheadhuntin

flatheadhuntin Member

State:
    Glen Rose,Texas
    Finally got a flat this past weekend.:big_smile_2: One 20 pounder (which my girlfriend caught) and I caught a 10 pounder. But good gosh, how in the heck do I keep from catching those dang gar and turtles?:0a32: Seems like the gar will take the bait when they hit, which is usually pretty decent and then they will go on a decent run. Thats when I set the hook, but cant always tell when its a gar or a flat. Usually the flats will bump the bait a little, sometimes I will see the end of my rod bumping for 5 minutes before they take the bait clicker out. And when they pull its usually a nice steady pull. Just can't stand them gar, but I guess that's part of it!

2. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Guess you just gotta roll with it... Consider them potholes along the road to success haha

3. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Agree! Gotta take the good with the bad.One thing to consider,almost all of my good flat spots got some gar too.:wink:

4. flatheadhuntin

flatheadhuntin Member

State:
    Glen Rose,Texas
    Guess so! As much as I don't like gar, I would go thru 100 of them just for 1 yellow. I started snelling my hooks and running a stinger hook(tracer) on my setups and actually started getting them on the bank. One good thing is they can put up a good fight when you get a big one. Ya'll keep crossin' them eyes!!!!!!!:wink:

5. WhoJosh

WhoJosh New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    Gar and turtles are a major problem in the areas where I catfish.I cannot tell you how many turtles I have caught and how many runs I've missed because of gar; it happens far too often.

6. KATTERMAN

KATTERMAN New Member

State:
    OKLA
    congrats..on the flats,been slow around here and ya the gar and turtles make me mad when i only have 3 or 4 good baits then they kill all of them can'nt hardley wait for some cooler weather