finally stocked trout in my area!

Discussion in 'Trout Fishing' started by massa_jorge, Dec 16, 2007.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    wohoo! i have been waiting for this since last spring. going to go out and try to bag a few, haven't had any fresh trout in a while. i'll post results later on today...

2. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    Jordan;

Whats a matter? Were you gettin low on Catfish Bait. LOL

Gene

3. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    well, maybe not! we were out there for four hours and caught two carp and a bullhead. biggest carp was 15 pounds. had to break the ice just to fish. called around and it seems i was a week early. :sad2: i will try again next week.

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    okay, let's try this again...

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    okay that was a relief. me, my father in law and my nephew went down and got into them. caught 36, kept 15 (the limit's 5 apiece). used biscuit dough and baited them in with garlic corn. here's my nephew with what we kept.

Attached Files:

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Fresh trout.YUMMM

7. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    our area was just stock on the 18th. im actually heading over there in about an hour. i havent tried bread dough, just marshmallows, corn, and trout power bait. our limit is only four, then you MUST stop fishing. no releasing, keep only. BTW, nice catch you got there

8. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    yeah that 4 limit that sux we have it here also .
    limit 4 lakes, resivors ,man made , etc .
    2 in any river ,stream .
    golden state waters all fish must be returned with some exceptions alot of places around here artifical bait only .

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Very nice trout, Massa!

10. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    I've been doing some trout fishing too lately! About 3 weeks ago, they were biting fantastic, but the bite has really slowed down. Not sure if it is because there are fewer and fewer trout, or if the cold weather, or if it is the powerbait. I've been enjoying the meals we have out of them though

11. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    went out again today for four hours. five of us went out and caught around 60 trout. kept 23 to eat. i have changed my setup a little bit. i tried it today without the corn, and ended up catching a lot less small ones. i also switched from #16 trebles to #12 trebles, still with no weight. i got a lot less throat hookings this way. when the bait hits the water, i reel it for about two feet on top of the water, then let it sink. seems they pick up on it a lot faster this way. also, if the bait isn't hit within about a minute, i will 'hop' it along the bottom for about a foot or so, and this seems to trigger a strike most times. i think i figured out why the braums biscuit dough works the best. i tried it alongside great value and pillsbury, and the braums after being in the water for a minute or so, seems to be dissolving in the water whereas the other two just fall off whole. they all three work, but the braums brand works the best, and holds a hook for a hard cast. i can make a 40 foot cast with no weight with my rapala spinner and a 7 ft. ultralight rod (can't remember the brand) and also with my shimano 2000D and a 5 ft berkley lightning rod. we actually had a contest of how many fish you could catch on the same piece of bait. i took it with three fish. had the opportunity for four but it never panned out. anyhow i hope this will help some folks have a good time. it's hard to leave when they are hitting nonstop! when it's 15 degrees with wind chill, that can help you leave though!
    here's a pic of today's catch....my cell phone takes crappy pics inside for some reason.

Attached Files:

12. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    How do you chum them in? Could you elaborate a little more?

13. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    hey david, i used to fish for about half an hour, then chum, but it got to where i would waste time to see if they were biting, so i started chumming right away. what i use for trout is the same chum i use for carp. drain a can of yellow corn. take a clove of fresh garlic and grush it up good. fresh garlic has worked best for any bait i have made. throw the crushed garlic in a ziploc bag, then pour in maybe a half inch (in the bag) cooking oil, or olive oil, if you want. put the drained corn in the bag and mix it up good so the oil gets on the corn. i let it sit in the fridge overnight, but you don't have to. throw about a half a handful in the water where you're fishing, and it will get them turned on faster. sometimes i take a little bottle of cooking oil with me, so i can pour it in where i chop the ice. the ice won't refreeze where you put the oil.

14. dookiechrist

dookiechrist New Member

State:
    utah
    we have an abundance of trout here in utah, and if bait fishing , one thing that has always worked really well is nightcrawler and a marshmallow. slide the marshmallow up the hook to the leader then the worm. fish it on the top or put a weight 18-24" up. and i think you'd have much ice in texas?

15. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i'm in amarillo, on the high plains. we have plenty of ice. the ice on new years was thick enough to hold me, and i weigh 238 pounds. we just go out on the floating dock with a shovel and chop a hole and start fishing. good stuff!

16. dookiechrist

dookiechrist New Member

State:
    utah
    i can catch all sorts of trout through the ice, i'd give you some advise , but i dont think you need it , nice group'o'fish by the way

17. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Nice lookin haul there,Jordan. I been wonderin bout ya since that ruckus they had there the other day at clemens .

18. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    Massa, I'll be trying out your strategy on Friday, thank you thank you for sharing your great info!

19. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I haven't fished for trout in a long time, and I could but I'd have to drive several hours and there are few fish I drive that far for. But back in Iowa, I wouldn't start fishing the trout streams untill winter after the last stocking had long gone by. That way the chances at quality native fish were much better. My two favorite "go to" baits were a crawler head and salmon egg or a 1/8 or 1/16 oz. roostertail spinner, black with nickel blade or white with nickel blade. The black and nickel is what I got my biggest trout on, a 22" rainbow that went just over 4lbs. The crawler head and egg would catch a lot of small brownies and nice brookies.

We'd fish that way through March, since they start stocking on April 1st, and that marked the end of "our" trout fishing when all the ding-batters who chased the stock trucks started catching the stockies one after the other on the oddest stuff I've even imagined putting on a hook for fish! lol

20. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    Ive been fishing a stocked lake in denton only tried the power bait salmon eggs using the lightest gear i can get by with they seem to be hitting the green ones eggs in the morn and switching to pink as the day goes on been getting my limit within hour or two nothing of any size only keep ones over 10 inches. fished the lewisville spillway yesterday seen some pics of a guy that got a 5 pound trout. they stocked 5,100 plus the 900 that where going to be stocked in mark holt lake fried some up last night man oh man some of the best fish ive ever ate.