Finally some success - and some heartache

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by CharlieTN, Jul 14, 2020.

1. CharlieTN

CharlieTN Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Name:
    Charles Shepher
    Went out this morning on Watts Bar Lake to drag some cut gizzard shad in a new area. It’s a main river channel ledge but has a crazy hump right in the middle of it. Caught two little dinks in the 1 1/2 lb range fairly early but then it just died off. Marked a bunch of fish on that hump but I believe they may have been white bass. May have to go back and test that theory.

Moved up to another section of the main channel ledge where I’ve had lots of success and it was like all of the fish had disappeared at first. Finally got back on some including a 4.5 lb blue and this 23.6 lb blue.

C71429C4-0266-4299-A272-C32E993F7D2A.jpeg

And then tragedy struck. If any of you are fishing Watts Bar and come across this nice blue with this nice set of fish grippers still clamped to the lower lip, tell him I said hi. I had the strap around my wrist and was putting him in the water to make sure he was ready to release since I had him out of the water longer than I like. As soon as he hit the water he spun, tore the grippers out of my hand and the strap came off of my wrist. Down to the depths he went with some new lip jewelry. Hoping he’s large enough that they won’t kill him and maybe someone else will catch him and get a free set.

Time to go buy another set I guess.

Retta Ann, SPAZ182, zachM54 and 5 others like this.
  2. jumpmaster

jumpmaster Well-Known Member

State:
    ohio
    Name:
    david
    Great now all the other fish will want one once they see his.

3. CharlieTN

State:
    TN
    Name:
    Charles Shepher
    They’re just jealous of all the bass running around with lures hanging from their lips.

Bobbycat, eastforker and Herbhome like this.
  4. redfestiva

redfestiva Member

State:
    Ohio
    Name:
    Steve
    That is a great blue cat! Way to go! I always think about that happening with my grips when I release a fish and Im pretty careful. I was excited about landing a 13.5 lb flathead last sat. night but it cant touch that big blue.

CharlieTN likes this.
  5. Thunder head

Thunder head Well-Known Member

State:
    Georgia
    Name:
    Steven
    Nice one Charles,
    As good as fish are getting of the hook. He will probably wallow around and get it loose in short order.

CharlieTN likes this.
  6. CharlieTN

State:
    TN
    Name:
    Charles Shepher
    That’s my thought as well. Since they work like a channel lock, he just has to bump the bottom handle and it’ll pop off.

7. KirkCat

KirkCat Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    Kirk
    That's a nice-un!!- assuming the cross hatching is the net imprint or a net shadow?.....not seen that on the few blues I've caught...I agree- he will pop it off- was it a floater?....

CharlieTN likes this.
  8. CharlieTN

State:
    TN
    Name:
    Charles Shepher
    Thanks and you’re correct, the lines are from the net I landed and weighed him with. Yep, the grippers are floaters. Hopefully someone will find them and get some use out of them.

9. Brackish*Water

Brackish*Water Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Wesley
    I can say that I have entertained the possibility of that exact scenario happening for sure.....even on much smaller fish.
    the weak point is the elastic wrist band. at least on mine it is ridiculous how much it stretches with hardly any effort.

CharlieTN likes this.
  10. CharlieTN

State:
    TN
    Name:
    Charles Shepher
    The one I had was sold by Rapala and had a strap that didn’t stretch. It had a cord lock on it and that had gotten slid down and was too loose enabling it to pop off of my wrist. The one I picked up is the Team Catfish one with the heavy bungee cord type band. We will see how well it works.

Brackish*Water likes this.
  11. Brackish*Water

Brackish*Water Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Wesley
    good deal
    I need to clean my boat this week. it is hammered. pressure wash carpet etc
    you are my inspiration ha ha

CharlieTN likes this.