Finally, some persistance pays off!

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by mississippi man, Aug 17, 2008.

1. mississippi man

mississippi man New Member

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    Well I finally got to clean some fish. My summer has been terrible, it started off when I took my fish n ski out in april we fished the warm water discharge @ portage, yeah we got some fish, but none of them were mine. Then I soon found out that the 150 force that powered my boat so nicely, lost a ring in the 5th cylinder. That was after a boat mechanic swore it wasn't my cylinder and talked me into having the carbs done on it and all of my electronics changed out. So to make a long story short I took about a $3500 loss when I sold my boat. I went back to bank fishing,which I enjoy but, I enjoy fishing from a boat a lot more. So finally I picked up a big jon boat and headed back to the river today. At first, the trip went south badly, I was in the boat about to get in the main channel from the launch, when suddenly it dies. The good thing is I was able to control myself unlike the last time I was in my fish n ski. I tied off to a dock and something happened that I have never seen before. After repeatedly trying to restart I noticed the fuel bulb lost prime so I tried to reprime and when I did the bulb exploded. I thought well this is going to end like several of my trips this summer, with the boat breaking. I was with a friend, and he convinced me to find a hose and bulb. We looked around, the boat shop was closed, so we ended up at wal-mart. We got the parts headed back to the river and it fired right up. This was only my second time out with the boat so I was a little leary about going below the lock and dam, but we did. It took us a while to find shad. Then we started fishing and my buddy hauls in a 20lber. About 30 minutes later I caught a 10lber, then it was his turn again he caught a 3lber and I wrapped it all up with a 12lber. We were still getting bites but I needed to go. It was finally time to kiss my bad luck bye-bye! If anyone saw a man in the mid afternoon sobbing in his boat it most likely was me, but if you saw a guy around 10:00 taking pics at the marina of his catch that was me too!

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Congrats on the good day on the water. I hope my day is coming soon!

3. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Troy im glad your luck got better brother lol sounds like my luck storys if it wasent for bad luck id have no luck lol glad it was something simple cograds on the good fishing i think fishing is picing back up a little thank goodness:cool2:

4. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    congratulations!!! I know what it's like to have boat frustrations and can definitely feel your pain. I'm glad it was you were able to turn your day around. I'm sure the conquering of adversity made it all the sweeter!!

5. mississippi man

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    Yeah! The person who said that "A boat is a hole in the water you throw money in to" hit the nail on the head. This night also took some of the pressure off my back from the wife. I am not so sure she thinks I am going fishing all the time since I don't bring anything back but bills from gas and boat repairs.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Troy thanks for sharing your trip on the water. Glad to here things started going your way. Congrats on some decent fish caught. I never liked a force engine either. Good to see you back posting.

7. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    I was always told that BOAT stood for Break Out Another Thousand at times they were right but its always been worth it in the long run.

8. TNYHWK1

TNYHWK1 Member

State:
    ROCKFORD ILLINOIS
    You know the Two best days of a boaters Life?
    The day he bought his Boat, and the day he sold his Boat.
    Good luck on you next trip. :big_smile:

9. Angus1340

Angus1340 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    At least u caught some nice fish after the problems anyhow :roll_eyes:

10. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    Sorry to hear about your boat problems. That mechanic sure blew the diagnosis at your expense. Good luck is on your side now.

11. mississippi man

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    Yeah! I got some advice for people about boat mechanics, don't find one off craigslist, don't trust them when they say "It is running perfect" or when they say "I'll have the boat back to you on........". Always take the boat out on your way home, to make sure it is running perfect, I know this does not apply to all mechanics but the 3 bad apples I have had, have spoiled the whole bunch! Anybody know where I can learn to be an outboard mechanic, it would save me some money, even after paying for the schooling.

12. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    I sure do! www.catfish1.com! :big_smile: They taught me a lot! And saved me even more money just being able to work on it myself.