Finally Ready!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by bradley_G, Mar 19, 2009.

1. bradley_G

bradley_G New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    It has been a long few weeks, but my project has finally been finished! I have completely restored this boat, and am gonna hit the lake tomorrow for a run around! Here are some pictures of when I got it: Rotted Transom, cracked fiberglass and the plywood deck was so bad that I could vaccum it up. I tore out the whole deck, stringers and transom, and then began the rebuild, see next post.....

Attached Files:

2. bradley_G

bradley_G New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    After Shots:

I restrung the boat, glassed in the stringers and then put down a 5/8" pressure treated plywood decking which I treated with poly resin. I tied the stringers into the transom, glassed them, and then restructured and glassed the transom. I covered it all with a indoor/outdoor grey carpet, making the rear panel a separate piece to have access to pumps etc. I installed a 41lb thrust motorguide, a humminbird 200dx (all thanks to puddle jumper) livewell pump in, pump out, and auto bilge. Finished up the wiring this afternoon and I think she's ready.

I'm picking up the new impeller tomorrow to install before I run it, but other than that my project has reached the end...er...at least the first checkpoint.

I hope I take a week break before I start to tinker with it, but thats most likely not going to happen.

I'd love to hear your feedback, and want to say thanks to BOC member Jack Herber for selling me the boat for such a great deal.

Attached Files:

3. Bait Bandit

Bait Bandit New Member

State:
    West Georg
    Wow she cleaned up nice, lot's of fishing room, Nice job!

4. Jasongonefishing

Jasongonefishing New Member

State:
    McDonough,
    Very nice job restoring her. She should do well for ya catching them fish.

5. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Man Bradly,
    You did a awsome job on that,, I like how you left it open gives you lot of room to move around:wink:
    You and the kids are going to love it..being your first boat take it slow and easy untill you get used to it...
    It was great meeting you today,, we will definently have to make a trip together soon,,
    Puddle:roll_eyes:

6. jkm4874ford

jkm4874ford New Member

State:
    Bowling Green,
    WOW what a change. Cleaned up real nice.

7. Fivebraids

Fivebraids New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Wow Bradley,

You did an awesome job restoring that rig. Hard to believe the before and after pictures are of the same boat!

- Marty -

8. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Wow Bradley, that's very impressive! Looks like you'll have plenty of room to lay a big catfish down in the boat! Great work

Good luck this weekend.

9. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Looks great Bradley, and just in time for some spring fishin'!

10. bradley_G

bradley_G New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    yeah I am super stoked. Changed the impeller and the plugs today and the lower end lube, and in trying to help me my neighbor pulled out the pivot pin screw which holds together pieces for shifting and I had to work at it for a little while to finally get the pieces lined up inside the lower unit, thank goodness that I had some dentist style pics to get in there and move things around....very relived that I could fix it myself, cant affort to pay a pro to do it.

Picked up the lifevests for the kids today and we are (re)-scheduled out tomorrow some time after it gets warm. If things go well we may even manage to get some fish in the boat!

Thanks for all the positive feedback, cant wait to take some pictures of hawgs in the boat!

11. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Thats some nice repairs. I have never been able to sew carpet. good job. Bass massey could sleep fine on that deck:smile2:

12. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Nice job Bradley. Lookin' good!

13. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    that is a good looking boat......i'm impressed. looks like all you need now is some rod holders on the back and a good bait bucket....i sure could take a nap on the front of that rig. when i first saw the pics of that boat, looked like nothing but a headache to me.....you sure did flip it around really nice. good job bradley......!

14. bradley_G

bradley_G New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    thanks for the compliments guys.. BM, I have no need for a bait bucket when I have a livewell. Gonna head out to lake acworth tomorrow and see if I can find anything that wants to bite.

15. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    Bradley you sure do some good work I wish I could do stuff like that

16. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Bradley, did you get out on Acworth? How did the boat handle?

17. bradley_G

bradley_G New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    did make it out on monday, floated around for 5 or 6 hours, mostly just for fun but trolled some minnows as I did. Managed one small (2lb) largemouth bass, but didn see much of anything on the finder. I didnt make it all the way around, but didnt find any water deeper than 15ft at the river channel. The lake is a puddle, only about 10ft deep on all sides. I didnt make it all the way to the dam though, as the little ones had to pee so we had to cut back across. Great day on the lake and have a nice uneven sunburn on my trolling motor leg to prove it.

18. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    That's great Bradley! Glad it's working out for ya.

19. Jack Herber

Jack Herber New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    Good grief, Brad, unless you are in boat restoration now, you may have missed your calling. I would not have recognized it.

20. bradley_G

bradley_G New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    yeah, everything is great, with the exception of me possibly burning up the motor. It seems that I pinched the grommet upon reinstallation of the water tube when I replaced the impeller and overheated it. Cant get it to fire up, will pull the head and bypass cover next week and see how bad it is and if its worth repairing or if I have to buy a new motor. effin pissed.... safe to say that wont happen again. guess these are things you learn with your first boat. very expensive lesson learned.

Looks like I'm gonna learn lake acworth real good as I cannot go anywhere else for a while.