Finally Pulling the Trigger!

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by ste6168, Dec 8, 2009.

1. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I am going to upgrade my two whuppin sticks to nicer rods. I would like to spend less than 100 each, but would consider rods over that (st. croix musky for example). My question here is, what would you all recommend. After reading the countless good reviews on the TWC rods, I am almost an idiot to not pick up two of them. Any reasons why I shouldn't, and any other rods to consider?

Thanks everyone, Mike

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    No reason at all. Great rods, great price. You will not find a better catfishing rod

3. Frog Legs

Frog Legs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I ordered 2 TWC rods late on 12/1 and got them in the mail today 12/8. They came in pvc almost bullit prioof! Looks like they could Tangle With Catfish! Can't wait to try um out! I'm going to put a Abu 6500c3 on one and a CC 6500 Green Cat on the other. Got some 65lb. braid coming from team catfish and should be ready to roll!

4. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sounds like the exact same setups I will be using. I am going to order the two TWC rods tomorrow afternoon. I am going to put a 6500 green cat on one, and a 6500C3 w/ power handle on the other. 65lb PP braid on both. I should be able to tangle with any catfish (pardon the pun) out there!

5. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Like you Mike I read so many good reviews on the rod I ordered one tonight. I spoke to Jeremy on the phone, I can't wait to get mine. I just got a E-Cat from cc with a bronze tc abu reel to match. I can tell you the twc rods look to have better quality eyes, and I like the fact he is a part of boc. I also have one of the 8' catfish safari rods. Steve also has a nice rod and use to be a part of boc, not sure why he left. You would think these guys catfish safari and catfish connection would be a part of boc.

6. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Thats funny because thats the exact same set-up i got- except i only got a 70001c3..i was going for a 6500c3 but found the 7000ic3 cheaper and brand new..

7. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    May I ask where? I don't think I want to put a 7000 on this rod, but I would consider it if its the right price

8. Frog Legs

Frog Legs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Have you used the power handles on a 6500c3? They look like they would be great!

9. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yeah. I have had one on my C3 now, and the Green Cats come with them! You will not be disappointed!

10. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Aint heard nothing but good things about the TWC rods yet Mike.I know you don,t like the bigwater uglies!:eek:oooh:

11. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yeah Pat, I have never been a fan of them ever since I got my 9ft'r. I personally think they are like casting broomsticks. There just too big, heavy, and don't really throw all that well (they are fiberglass!). Not saying they are not good rods, especially for the money, I just do not like them personally!

12. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Almost all of the heavy duty, well thought of cat rods are fiberglass...

E-Cat, TWC, Catfish Safari, Quantum Big Cat, Uglies, Tigers, TrophE cat, Glowstick, Big Game..

Nite Sticks are a composite rod.

13. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My point exactly. No catfish rods are really made to cast (far). They work well for what their designed to do, but give me a graphite surf rod for any long distance surf casting! Graphite is far superior for casting distance though I would not really want to wrangle cats on a graphite rod all the time!

*edit There just too big, heavy, and don't really throw all that well (they are fiberglass!) - - Maybe I should have rephrased that statement :embarassed:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  14. Catfishboy1995

State:
    Council Bluffs
    at my local bait shop..for $100 i think it is a little big..but im fishing the missour river...

15. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Graphite is just fine for catfishing. It's the best material for any rod, by far. The graphite can be engineered to do anything that fiberglass can do. Problem is that 99% of people won't/can't pay the premium for that engineering. I'm one of them. :smile2: I try to compromise with composites.

I'll agree though, I don't care for most of the Big Water Ugly's either.

16. Catfishboy1995

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I have a few graphite rods for bass.. and the break easy..but not with any fish i catch:smile2::smile2::wink:

17. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA

My catfishing rods sure do take a beating though! I seem to take better care of my surfcasters and bass rods (hell, even my bait rods~) than I do catfish rods. It probably has something to do with the price I pay for them. And they are often sitting on the ground, in rod racks, or getting tossed around the boat. The other types of rods are usually in my hand while fishing. If I ever get more expensive cat rods (like the st. croix musky I drool over) I will have to change the way I treat them!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  18. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

I like the feel of a graphite rod too.I just KNOW that I,d end up breaking it in a month,the way i,m always tossing stuff around on the bank.

19. :eek:oooh::smile2::wink:

20. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

Couldn,t resist that one,could you John!:roll_eyes: