FINALLY!! Pictures of my project boat, behold brothers and sisters!

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by FordTruckGuySTX, Aug 23, 2006.

1. FordTruckGuySTX

FordTruckGuySTX New Member

State:
    Caryville, TN
    The terror of Norris Lake. This jewel started out life as a closed deck runabout built in 1962. After years of loyal service to its former owner it was sold to my dad. well it has sat for probably 10 years or so until I decided to resurrect it for catfishing duty. The front deck was cut completely off of it leaving some walking space. I used a small center console from an old pontoon boat behind the building. Which by the way incase you wonder my dad has done nothing but work on outboards since he was about 13 so I'm pretty stocked on stuff, heh. My trailer came from an open deck runabout buckeye boat which was scrapped due to rotted transome. Replaced a tire for $27 bucks as my first cost. I had some small HID type lights I usually keep for backup lights on my trucks and some square flood type lights I had hanging up on the wall never opened. I decided to put them to good use for the nightshift. Got my bow and rear light for about $29 alltogether. spent about $20 bucks in wiring related items. Steering gear was $130, control box was there, keyswitch was $20. Got two Duralast dual purpose batts. cheap. We had that '67 Mercury 35hp for awhile, got it for $300 b/c it wouldnt fire on one cylinder. I did a tuneup from foot oil to pump and points and discovered one point set burnt up, problem solved. made the rod holder from some pvc i had and aluminum c-channel, and turned the rear seat area into storage with a nice lid(still gotta get a seat pedestal mount for it) The rest of the stuff I had laying around pretty much. Spent a couple days and scrubbed her up good and I had a super cheap yet near pointlessly functional rig. Took her out a few hours ago for the maiden voyage and that little booger will scoot along good. But heres pics of my rig so maybe this can encourage some of our low budget catmen to save an old boat.

Attached Files:

2. FordTruckGuySTX

State:
    Caryville, TN
    here's one more of the boat, and I know I am gonna get flamed but that motor is the ooooonly way to travel and I'd run no other brand, just ask my dad. I've spent the time to change out motors to run to the lake for an hour just b/c I'm a Mercury junkie, yea I like the Yamahas, OMCs, etc to a point but they dont have a place on my boat. And finally a pic of my tow vehicle b/c I love to show it off.:roll_eyes:

Attached Files:

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Nice restoration of an old boat. Congrats. If I had the knowledge to do things like that to boats I would.

4. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    Now to get out and break it in and get some kitty slime on it so it smells good,maybe a little shrimp under a seat lol, Good job on the restoration

5. FordTruckGuySTX

State:
    Caryville, TN
    It really dont take much knowledge to fix one up like I did. Now you may have to seek outside assistance on the outboard repair stuff or try to track down a manual. luckily my dad dont need one and if he did he has all the Mercury manuals from around '53 and forward and most of them on microfish(sp?) It usually aint too expensive for the older motors. and You can find a good buy on an old boat like that alot of times. you cant let things like that discourage you, its a learning experience and a fun way to kill some evenings. and best part of all is if you can keep it on a similar budget if you sink it just tie a waterbottle too it with some string so you can go back and get your motor and rods, heh

6. FordTruckGuySTX

State:
    Caryville, TN
    I really did make an upgrade too. I had been using my '58 model 13ft Norris Craft with a 7.5 Merc and with one person it still couldnt quite come up on plane. After that and getting to slam the throttle down on this boat tonight and actually feeling it accelerate and come up on plane was ossum-
    possum. When we pulled back to the bank I joked and told my buddy who usually drives while i run lines and navigate we'll call her White Lightning b/c after that 7.5hp it did run like lightning. Even moreso next year b/c I have a '55 model Mercury Mark 55 I'm doing a nice restoration on and adding electric start from a '57 model. It's gonna be the winter piddle project

7. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Doesn't look like it will be a bad boat when you get done with it.

8. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Your my kind of man Matt. A fellow Mother Earther. One nice way to use up
    a old boat on the cheap. Good Job!! The only problem I can see is that you're
    driving a Ford instead of a Chevy.
    Bill

9. FordTruckGuySTX

State:
    Caryville, TN
    Dude, you wanna step outside on this?j/k I bleed Ford blue but if I had to get different truck I'd love a nice GMC Sierra. But that trucks gotta last me at least 15 years or more, new trucks cost too dang much. Thats what my '77 is for.

10. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Wish I knew you were gonna redo a mark55 sooner I just got rid of a 57 55E ran like a top too. The boat looks good enjoy it and Mercs and Fords rule!

11. FordTruckGuySTX

State:
    Caryville, TN
    Dont sweat it, I have about 6 or 7 of them, unfortunately just 2 shortshafts. Got a little '58(i think) Mark 25 tiller handle that is next in line. I love restoring them more than my Mustangs b/c rebuilding the Merc costs less than a good 4 wheel disc setup for the car.

12. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Now Matt you had everything going your way until you showed that tow truck.:big_smile: :big_smile:

I wear ford emblems for bumper stickers on my dodge.:lol:

All jocking aside you won't know how proud you will m,ake your father by picking up on some of his trade. You have done a good job on the boat and as for the old merc they didn't come any better. A little cantankerous to work on but good engines none the less.

Now tell me where this is, LaFollette , been all over Tenn and haven't crossed that one yet. You say you are restoring a mark 55 man good for you. I loved those old beasts and if you really want to get to an old one that turns some High R's I have a 1946 champion racing 4.5 h/p you ought to hear run.

13. FordTruckGuySTX

State:
    Caryville, TN
    I wish I had an old race Merc, i'd be in high cotton then! LaFollette is on the state maps believe it or not, heh. It is located about 25-30 minutes north of Knoxville, like right between it and middlesboro. Right tied in with Cove Lake State Park, Royal Blue WMA, etc. Norris Lake is in the middle of it along with the Clinch River which flows from Norris.

14. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

Well you are absolutely right it is on the map. Some good fishing up in that area. I'll be traveling up in that area tomorrow I have to make a trip up into KY to pick up a person.

15. Chris54WVa

Chris54WVa New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I like the way you fixed up the boat but the good flag you fly there is real nice.I like it.:cool2: :0a24:

16. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    You got that thing looking good man, congrats...Hope you put some good fish in it

17. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Matt, you have done some excellent work. You have something to be proud of.

st

18. FordTruckGuySTX

State:
    Caryville, TN
    thanks for all the praise guys, keep it comin:big_smile:

19. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    OK. Here is some more. Great job. Looks sweet. I envy you. We will forgive the Ford because you did such a great job on the boat. Wanna sell her ? :worship:

20. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Ain't nuttin wrong with a Ford. Just because I drive a Toy, don't mean I wouldn't drive a Ford. Now when do you start on my boat? j/k. Great looking restoration.