Finally Ohio has limits on flatheads

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Nov 3, 2005.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Finally, a proposal allowing anglers to keep only one channel catfish larger than 28 inches and one flathead catfish larger than 35 inches in a day was approved..This is great news for those of us hoping that our trophy catfishery will continue.

Now if they can just inforce it?

2. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    They won't enforce the law. They don't enforce the slot limits on any lake I know of. I have seen it.

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    That will be good news if they inforce it. But like Tn and the 34" length law. I have never heard of anyone getting a ticket.
    There some of the guys here fishing nets and stuff keep what ever they catch.
    And I'm sure if they got a ticket for it. It would make the news. Like the big blue caught in East Tn on a trotline. They gave him a warning ticket.
    PEte

4. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think thats the key, it's a start in the right diretion. Now lets see them clasify it as a Gamefish (was that in the new law?). It's about time we ahve some regs concerning flats (& channels)

5. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    I agree with timotha7. Even if all fishermen keep more than allowed, most will follow the laws. That will ensure that the majority of large fish are not kept.

6. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    In Ohio, catfish are already considered game fish. ODNR defines gamefish as any fish that can be taken legally. The 2 different classifications of fish used in Ohio are sport fish such as bass, bluegill, trout, channel catfish, flathead catfish, etc. The other classifcation is non-sport fish such as carp, bowfin, shad, etc.

7. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    Flathunter, unless I read the report wrong, those limits just effect Lake Erie not the rest of the state.

8. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Cat,

Thanks for pointing that out. I thought cats were classified as rough or forage fish. I've read the info on the ODNR page & I think the cat laws are in effect for the entire state, but I may be wonrg. We MUST find the answer to this.

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I contacted the odnr, it's statewide.

10. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    This is all I could find:

INCREASE IN LAKE ERIE BAG LIMITS APPROVED FOR 2006

COLUMBUS, OH - Lake Erie walleye and yellow perch anglers will enjoy an increased bag limit next year as the fishing proposals for 2006 were approved by the Ohio Wildlife Council, according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) Division of Wildlife.

The daily bag limit on walleye will increase from three fish to four between March 1 and
    April 30, with a six-fish bag limit the remainder of the year. The existing 15-inch size limit will remain.

Council also approved an increase for yellow perch from the current 30-fish daily bag limit to 40. Perch populations, which have been low since the mid-1990s, have rebounded to healthier levels since the bag limit was reduced in 1995.

State wildlife biologists will continue to monitor the walleye and perch populations and work with state and provincial partners to ensure the continued vitality of the Lake Erie fishery.

Finally, a proposal allowing anglers to keep only one channel catfish larger than 28 inches and one flathead catfish larger than 35 inches in a day was approved.

-30-

For additional news online, check out the ODNR Press Room at Ohiodnr.com

For Further Information Contact:
    Roger Knight, ODNR Division of Wildlife
    (419) 625-8062
    -or-
    Gary Isbell, ODNR Division of Wildlife
    (614) 265-6325

11. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Good going. Thanks for doing that.

12. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    I stand corrected...again...lol Thanks, Flathunter.

13. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Great to see that any state has taken this progressive stance.Of course there are always those that believe the law doesn't pertain to them but its a great step in the right direction.Equally impressive is the fact that they have given catfish sportfish status which means they can be regulated and limits put on.That will be the savior of the trophy catfish for the future.Hopefully more states will follow suit.

14. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    sure wish and hope illinios would do a lil something. i see fellas keeping 30-40 fish a day and as small as 6-8" :cursing:

15. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    They still have no limits on smaller cats, I have seen guys take out basket fulls of tiny channel cats 6-10 inches..cant understand it?

16. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think Tim had alot to due with the new Ohio regs! Us ohio anglers are gratefull.

17. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    congrats on the new OH. regs. now lets hope for IN. to do the same. there is 27 miles of the great maumee river in my state that needs protected.

Tim thank you for doing your part brother!

18. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Nice to see Ohio do something good?

OPINION: How many times do we get more then one 35" fish per day guys....hmmmmmm?

If they would have a stocking program since the last time they did I think was Mosquito Lake in "66" or "67". Or how about habitat improvement. Ohio takes only a little of the money they take in to improve fishing here. Sorry guys if they pushed for getting 50 35" fish I don't believe it would make one bit of difference. Write them with some goood suggestions and see what happens for the Flathead fishin.

<><Baitkiller><>

19. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Ok a slot limit would help a very very little, but would like to see it much more proactive. WV wanted to make the Blue fishing better in the Ohio River AND GUESS WHAT... they have now a stocking program.

Most all the lakes in Ohio that had Flats stocked in them 70 years ago have now had most all the stumps rot away. 10,000 spawning drums would sure go a long long way.

A 10-12 dollar 3rd pole permit with 100% of the $$$$$ going to the Flathead, allow volenteers to help and have a donation available when we get our permits.

:D

<><Baitkiller><>

20. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

Not trying to hijack ya'lls thread,but just want ya'lls opinion!I was reading the Texas regs,and i really don't agree with the blue's limit,i think its too high.I'm alright with the channels and flathead.What do ya'll think?
    I think there should be at least a lenght limit on them!

Catfish: channel and blue, their hybrids and subspecies 25 (in any combination) 12 inches
    Catfish, flathead 5 18 inches

Leakyboat