Finally! My money well spent.

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Allencat15, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Allencat15

Allencat15 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    After fishin all year at a local pay lake, I finally caught a 15 pounder. My biggest flathead.AWESOME!!!!!

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Congrats. NOW DUCK! QUICK! LOL!

3. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    LMAO @ George! :smile2: :smile2: :smile2:

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Congrats on the personal best. Welcome to the boc, this site is full of good info and great people

5. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC :smile2:

6. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC. And fasten your seat belt, this thread may be a good one.

7. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    :haha: George that was pretty funny! BTW welcome to the BOC, this is definately the spot to be in for catfishin. Just so you know Allencat15 some guys are a little sensitive regarding paylakes due to the fact that some of them use fish caught by commercial fisherman from local rivers and lakes thereby reducing the numbers of large breeding fish and harming the future in those specific bodies of water. Now I am not one to rain on your parade, as a matter of fact I would be pretty darn happy too if I caught a 15 lber, but just an FYI, maybe check around and find out where the fish come from so you can make an educated decision on who gets your fishing money. I am including a link to a website that a member here operates regarding this subject. LINK

Welcome Again!
    Bill

8. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
  9. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Shane.

10. Aceoky

Aceoky New Member

State:
    Ky
    Wouldn't those "breeder fish" be "gone" either way?

I mean commercial fisherman ARE going to sell the larger fish either to pay lakes or to be eaten.....correct?

11. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    well at least if a fisherman eats the larger fish, we won't have to worry much about their kids doing the same thing as they will probably be born with an arm growing out of the center of their forehead from the parents eating polluted fish. :wink:

12. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    all fish big and small eat good. just take the time to clean them right. as for your catch con-grads. and I tell you with the way the cost of every thing is going up its getting to the point its cheaper to go paylake fishing. I have only been to the pay lake once this year and it was because it was a lot cheaper than the cost of going on down to the river. and if that makes anyone mad well give me your bank accout # and next time I go fishing you can pay for my trip I dont mind.:wink:

13. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    That seems to be the major problem with commercial fishing, there is no regulations that I am aware of in regards to size and amount of fish taken out of local waters. Now remember I am playing devil's advocate here so don't shoot the messenger:wink:. I believe that it is the goal of responsible catfishermen to get catfish on the list of sportfish so that size and creel limits can be instituted. As of right now especially on large lakes/rivers the fish are caught in tube nets and hauled off to paylakes regardless of specifics and THAT hurts the fishery for both YOU and ME. There is lots of precedence here regarding the overfishing of numerous species of fish whether it be saltwater or fresh and things never get better until those who care, namely fishermen, step in to make their voices heard. Are catfish being overfished?, probably not, but there aren't any safeguards in place to stop it if it should happen.

This is just my take on the current situation, I personally see commercial guys netting the Ohio river in the pool I currently fish taking out large catfish that I could be catching and releasing, does this make me angry...not really as I cant seem to catch the big ones anyhow:smile2: but if it adversely affects my area of fishing then you bet I will be advocating for stricter regulations. Some areas can support it others can't.

Bill

14. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Congrats on your pb ! :smile2:

15. Aceoky

Aceoky New Member

State:
    Ky
    Still my question is:

Does it matter if they go to paylakes IF they'd be killed and eaten instead?

Commercial fishermen are going to keep the larger fish so long as they're allowed.....correct?

I'm not understanding how keeping the big fish alive is "worse" I suppose.....than selling it to be eaten...

16. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    there isnt a difference where its taken, the bottom line is that it has been, its just like deer hunting and deer management. I think the jury is still out on how old these big 20-40 lb fish are some scientists are saying some may be as old as 15 yrs others say 20? any rate I like catching fish and the more big mommas that are taken from my river the less I will catch in the future, it's simple logic. Now if I can only figure out how to catch those big fish.....:wink:

17. runabout199

runabout199 New Member

State:
    Cartersville, G
    welcome from georgia and gratz on catch

18. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    You caught it, its yours, congratulations.

19. wowsafari

wowsafari New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Aceoky, the commercial fishermen usually keep the good eating sized fish. The people who buy these fish don't want a big old fish because they aren't as good. Check out this link from KY Afield on You Tube. It is very informative.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwXK3nVsULc

20. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Man O man.... last thing I needed to see at the end of a bad day was a redneck, nearly toothless, commercial "fisherman" what badly needed a shower and shave...braggin' about how hard he works to rape thousand and thousands of pounds of fish from public waterways THEN trying to romanticize the whole thing with a cheesy sunset on the water, youtube film.