Finally....my first Flathead Catfish! Catfish Pictures!

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Capt_Culver, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Capt_Culver

Capt_Culver New Member

State:
    Ohio
    After spending all summer scouting my area and trying to figure these things out...I finally landed my first flathead....around 8 lbs. Also lost another that I am guessing would have been in the 15-20 lb range. I had my drag set too loose and he spooled me and ran for the nearest dead fall. I was unable to work him out of that mess. Overall, not a bad night. Fished with Ben Grumbles and Toddzilla and my brother. Ben picked up his first flathead as well. Mine was a little bigger though. :wink:

Gotta give thanks to the several members on this board for giving me hope and tips for a successful night. Especially Rollo!

On a side note....These flatheads bite is very unlike the channels. They are very slow and methodical. I didn't expierence a hit and run, wheels spinning kind of hit. My bait was placed on the upriver side of a log jam. The fish came out and slowly started heading back for cover after taking the bait. I watched as the rod tip slowly started to bend and the clicks of the drag slow coming.

Thanks again for all your help.

Attached Files:

2. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Good for you Josh ! I've only caught 2 flats myself. One was only a few pounds but he was sure a cool looking cat. I willing to bet you will find ya a biggin soon. Thanks for the pic's.

3. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Nice fish Josh.

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    congrats on the fish josh and thankyou for the nice words, but the bottom line is you can read everything you want about what you should do and how to do it. but until you go and spend the time yourself like you did, and go through the trial and error end of it, thats how you learn! keep at them bro, and i'm sure that is a first of many for you...goodjob!..rollo

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Congrats Josh on your first flattie. Thanks for sharing the story and pics. Enjoyed.

6. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Congratulations Josh on the first of my flatheads!

7. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :cool2:Congrads on your first flattie. Your right they have a whole different bite than Channels. With Flats it's more of a waiting game. and Congradulations. Just a start of bigger things to come for you.

8. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Congratulations Josh, on your first flathead.

9. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Congrats Josh on catching your first flathead. :wink:

10. Deuce

Deuce New Member

State:
    ohio
    Congrats on your 1st flathead. I haven't caught one since I was about 10..:sad2:

11. todzla

todzla New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That sure was fun! Seems like we had a couple good holes there.

12. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Congrats on your first flathead.

13. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    Congrats on your first flatheads! ....and so begins the addiction:wink:

14. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    congrats josh on your first flathead. they are just so fun to catch. keep on them u will get into some bigger ones

15. BGRUMBLES

BGRUMBLES New Member

State:
    ohio
    josh,

congrats again. was great getting on the river with you again after a while off....need to hit it at least one more time with the weather looking like it is. Once I thought to use the shad cut we all started getting runs...so thinking this next time we have done the trial and error part of it and so it should be a lot easier in that regard.

Also, we need bigger hooks if we are going to fish for flatties. Just judging by the mouth on them there is too be of room for an improper hook set. I really like the idea of running massive circle hooks like most the guys do on this board. The hooks I had were just too small compared to the fish.....gotta gear up to the fish. I will look at ordering a bunch of big ones if not for this year...for next.

Thanks again for the good times....really enjoy hanging out with you guys.

ben

16. impak209

impak209 New Member

State:
    Toledo, Ohio, U
    congrats
    :cool2:

17. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    nice fish just keep going ,gear up i agree

18. crazy cathunter

crazy cathunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    Nice flathead! I hope your not done fishing this season, i think there are still big hogs to be had!

19. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    That's awesome man, congratualtions!