Finally, I own my own boat

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Seth, May 11, 2007.

1. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I just picked up a 93 1648 jon boat with a 50HP Yamaha jet for $1500. It comes with 3 batteries, a 36v 65lbs thrust trolling motor and side steering console.

The feller through in a gigging rail and a gig too. It's got everything that I have been wanting in a boat, and for a great price too. The motor fired up after about two cranks.

It needs a little work, but nothing to major. Just normal stuff like repack the bearings, clean it out, make sure the motor "pee's".

I can't wait to get her licensed and start fishing. :lol:

2. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    Contrgats on the boat.:big_smile:
    It does sound like you got a great deal.
    Now you can personalize it to fit you and your needs.

I doubt you have a 36v trolling motor with 65lbs thrust, that would be a 24v.
    I think only 100lb+ motors have 36v. (But I'm often wrong too:eek:oooh: )
    You can tell by looking at the batteries an see how many are wired in series.

3. mitch101

mitch101 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Grats on the boat. Wish you the best
    Mitch

4. 72hdflh

72hdflh New Member

State:
    West Salem, Ohio
    Congrats on the boat, I too just got my first "real boat, I'm going to take it on it's maiden voyage tomorrow night and see if it attracts any cats.

5. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    congrats on the boat! man that 50 hp motor on them jon boats ell take you pretty dern fast!!! have fun!!!

6. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Seth and 72,
    Be safe, have fun...W

7. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    sounds like a great boat. good luck

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Seth congrats on the boat. You did get a good deal. When you get it water ready, shoot some pics and let us take a look at her. Thanks for sharing. Good Luck on that maiden voyage. Thank Safety First.:lol: :big_smile:

9. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Sounds like all a cat man needs to pull in some hogs. By the way where did you get thos spoon bills

10. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I caught the one in my picture on the James River Arm of Tablerock Lake on opening night of 2002.

I'll get some pictures of the boat this weekend and post them. I know the boat has 3 batteries that I have to hook up in tandem, or else the only thing that works is the starter for the outboard. There's two batteries sitting up by the trolling motor, so maybe it is only a 24v.

11. bigcat_chaser

bigcat_chaser New Member

State:
    Cincy, Ohio
    Hey congrats on the new boat,it's been my experience that every time I get a new boat it's god's way of saying that I have too much money saved up so he helps me find a new boat to empty the bank :lol:

12. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO

I just looked at the manuals that came with the boat and the trolling motor is a MotorGuide Beast 775 24/36volt. The guy that sold me that boat said that is doesn't push worth a darn if you have it hooked up to 24v.

13. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Congrats on the new rig Seth. Sounds like you got a great deal.
    Best of luck with it.

14. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    Seth,
    That's cool, you will like the power of the 36v, and it will run a long time.
    When that 775 model came out it was the most powerful trolling motor on the market!!!
    The only thing I don't like about my 36v is that they make very few accessories for them compared to the 12/24v and those onboarb chargers for the 36v are expensive:eek:oooh: .

Your gonna love that boat, I still can't believe what a good price you got on that thing.

Have fun.

15. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Here's a few pictures of the boat

Attached Files:

16. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    And a few more.

It needs new carpeting. Eventually I am going to have to learn how to run the wiring and rewire it so I can have all the batteries hidden in the back under the deck. Right now they just sit out on the floor by the front deck. I'm going to put a fish finder on top of the console when I get the money for one too.

Are there any good sources that explain how to wire up a boat and doing modifications? I've seen some pretty neat jon boats where people have done there own wiring and modifications, but I don't have the first idea on how to do that stuff.

Attached Files:

17. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    You stole that boat, nice first boat congrats.

18. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    Seth,
    The boat looks set up pretty good.
    I would only rewire anything that was bad.
    You may want to think twice about moving those batteries to the back of the boat, weight distribution in a jet is very important. I would see how it runs first and then maybe consider building a box or boxes to store them up front.
    Jsut take your time before doing to many mods, you have a great boat to start with, so just run it for a while and find out what changes you really need and want.

19. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Such a deal!!!!