finally I got my bait tank!

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by caneycat, Mar 9, 2008.

1. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    I finally got my bait tank! It is a 6' foot swimming pool with a 80 GPH fountain and a 10 inch air stone. I do not have my goldfish yet all I have in there is 30 or 40 prawn and 3 crawfish. All in all it should cost about $60 with fish if you need buy all the stuff, I did not need to buy it all. I can't wait to do some yellow cat fishing!
    [​IMG]

2. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Thats great!
    Being your in Texas, I was wondering how you planned on keeping the water cool enough in the summer?

3. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I used one of those for a long time they work pretty good just hard to get bait out of. I would try to find a shade to put it in though. also with that lil fountian pump you shouldnt need to run air pump much.

4. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Looks like a good idea!

5. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Looks good, watch out for raccoons and other critters though. Unless you have a way to cover your tank, I'm sure it will get their attention.

6. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks you the replies, keep letting me know what I can do to make it better!
    I do not think I will need to worry about raccoons because it is in our dogs pen, but I will be getting a top for it.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Very nice bait tank.

8. Pinky

Pinky New Member

State:
    Virginia
    brilliant! i like it!

9. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    I got my goldfish today, I told them that I wanted 50 because I knew that they would give me more than that and I got 84, I was hoping for 100 so I am going to get some more the next time we are in town.

10. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    if your dogs are like mine you wont have any fish lol had a hard time keeping my boxers from eating my fish.

11. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i used the exact same setup, minus the air stone, for fathead minnows and river shiners. worked great. kept a couple small red eared sliders in there to clean up the dead minnows. you can get an umbrella net to get bait out of there, it makes it real easy.

12. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    I got 58 more goldfish today, I also got a top for it, it is two old screen doors that I got from my grandfather and they work great! I had to take out the crawfish and the prawn because they got the tales off 3 or 4 of my goldfish. Here is the new pics!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A close up pic my my fish.
    [​IMG]
    What do yall think of my high tech top LOL!

13. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    looks like it will work bud. make sure you do partial water changes and squirt some of that ammonia treatment in there from time to time!

14. justfishn

justfishn New Member

State:
    ohio
    that is great.i spend more time in the summer catching and careing for bait than i do fishing with it.i am already getting electric out back now so i can get everything going.i like your creativity

15. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    hopefully you can keep the water cool enough
    looks good though
    here in kansas in the middle of summer we have a hard time with baite even in our set ups so good luck

16. Jaylake_21

Jaylake_21 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Do you catch big cats on goldfish? I have only heard old guys talking about using goldfish, and they are so full of BULL, you dont know what to believe and what not to.

17. lilrivercatman

lilrivercatman New Member

State:
    Iowa
    One way to keep your pool cooler is to dig it underground. IF I remeber correctly the ground temp stays almost constant at like 5O something if you get to some depth. You would probally need some machinery or alot of work! BE CAREFUL though of small children and animals crawling in it and drown..

18. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    cool set up. went fishing in MS on the Mississippi River and used goldfish and got a few cats.