Finally got the Abu 7000

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Catmaster, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I finaly broke down and bought the new Abugarcia Ambasseder 7000. It is awsome. I am still trying to figure out how to set the bait weight and how to cast it consistantly without getting it all tangled up. Does anyone have any tips? because it is starting to get aggrivating.

2. Gunner-Fisherman

Gunner-Fisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Congrats on the reel, they will last a long time with a little care!

to set it for casting, make sure the chrome cap under the star drag is tight all the way...

Then tighten the cap on the left side up all the way... back it off one turn or so and start casting.. you may be able to cast it a few inches, but keep backin the left side cap off some each cast until you can cast it easy enough without backlashes...

Once you have it down, you just need to back off a little more maybe quarter turn, and then just loosen the other cap quarter turn..

See if that helps you any

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Just say GRRRRRRRrrrrrrrr and keep on practicing. Think back when you first walked, how many times did you bust your behind. Same thing... called a learning curve.

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Congats man, I hope u enjoy it.

5. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    When I first started using a baitcaster, I spooled with really old, cheap line that I could cast in the backyard and not worry about birdsnests. Once I got the hang of it, I would spool with good line and tried it on the lake. Good luck!

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Have ya adjusted the brake properly for the weight ya are castin? This will have a major impact on your sanity.

7. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Eric, set the brake correctly and you will minimize your tangles until you get really good at throwing it. To set the brake, flip the release and allow your bait to free fall to the ground. If it drops very quickly and causes a tangle, its too loose. You want the bait to fall at a "controlled" pace to the ground. If it fails to get to the ground you have your brake to tight. Once you have mastered thumbing the spool at the correct time, you can loosen the brake some and launch 75 yard bombs. The key to the entire casting sequence is your thumb on that spool. Good Luck my friend.

8. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Congrats on the 7000, heard great things about them. :smile2: Just keep practicing and you will get it. It took me awhile and a spool of line to learn but its worth it. Does it have directions with it? It should tell you what you need to know. The bait or sinker should fall slowly and when it hits the ground it the spool shouldnt keep moving. At least thats the way I remember it.

9. flathead20000

flathead20000 New Member

State:
    Indiana, Delphi
    Catmaster congrats on the purchase of the reel. Cuz was right about setting the brake. Having said that try these two tips when casting. Start off try not to over do it. Make short casts first with the brake a little over tightened. Concentrate on your thumb just barely making contact with the spool. As your line hits the water or ground tighten up your thumb pressure. Repeat this until your comfortable then loosen the brake a little, and I mean a little and try again. Eventually you willl get the hang of it. Second tip, and probably most important. Don't wing it out there at first like a bullet pass in football. Cast it like you would be making a touch pass. Cast it up in the air towards your target rather than directly at it this will help tremendously with your backlash. Also, it helps some people to start out casting sidearm rather than overhead. Just remember the last rule cast more up than at the target. Once you have mastered these things you should be able to set the brake where cuz said and cast anyway you like you'll be that good. Good luck you'll love that reel.

10. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Erik, put a pretty decent sized weight on (1.5 oz or better) and just go practice. Like the other guys said... set your brake on your reel to where the weight will just barely fall when you take your thumb off the spool. That's where you want to start when learning to cast. As you get better at it, you can back off on the brake. When you're just learning to cast that big reel, practice "thumbing" the spool as the line is going out, this will help keep in control of how fast the line feeds. You'll get the feel of it. I learned to cast a baitcaster when I was an 8 year old little kid, I know you can do it. Just keep trying, after a while it'll become second nature to you & you won't even think about it.

Oh yeah, another thing: you bought one of the best reels that I've ever held in my hands. You're really gonna love it when you get the hang of it. I've got a 7000 that's about 24 years old and it'll cast a country mile. That sucker works just as good today as when my dad bought it back in '83.

11. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    casting up in the air and setting the brake right you are good to go. i have thrown baitcasters so long now if i try to throw a zebco 202 now it goes striaght up in the air....lol. the 7000 is money well spent. i have 14 of them and i have only had to wash the shad scales off of them. i love the big handles and the gear ratio over the 6500s and the line retriveal is the same as the 6500 with the higher gears. 25in. per turn of the handle.

12. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Erik, don't be tempted to fool with the knob on the right side. It is just a barring cover and should be tight. Adjust your brake with the one on the left side plate. As has been mentioned before adjust it so your rig falls slow and the reel stops when your weight hits the ground, you should be fine. When casting keep your thumb off of the spool until you see the bait hit the water then clamp down on it fast, Thats when you get the worst over runs when the line stops going out, the spool doesn't know it, thats your job. lol

13. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Erik,First off loosen the right side knob,(the one under the star drag) and twist it back for a full turn, then tighten it back up just snug. DON"T crank it down. Just loosen it and tighten it a few times till it "sets". Now you're ready to use the "spool" drag on the left hand side. Put on a 1 OZ weight, reel it up to about 6 inches from the tip. Tighten the left side spool "drag" ( which isn't a drag at all) its just tension on the spool. Anyway tighten it till your 1 OZ sinker wont fall with the button pushed. With the sinker hanging there and the button pushed, slowly loosen the left side knob till the sinker starts falling, stop it there. Tighten the spool about one quarter to one half backwards. Now when you start from the same place 6 inches from the tip and you flex the rod the sinker should only fall 1 or 2 ft. If its closer to 1 ft you have it set right if its closer to 2ft tighten it up a little. Then cast it out. Don't try for the hills, try 60 ft. Reel in and throw again. (This is a default setting), After you cast it a few times you can use the left knob to loosen it up and it will cast farther than you can see. This is just a starter.

14. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    REALLY good info for starting off. i just got my first 7000 last night for V-day (yeah i know i have such a good wife)
    the left hand brake threw me off while i was playing with it so i had to read the manual (ashamed)
    i am gonna take it out this afternoon and see how far that thing will cast.
    BTW it seems that thing will hold a mile of 20lb Stren!!!

15. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Erick congrats on your new 7000. I have several and have never had a problem. You have recieved some very good advice on how to adjust the brake and how to throw them. Once you have it conquered, remember to re adjust after any weight change and to practice, practice and practice.:lol: :lol: :smile2:

16. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Congratulations Gentleman You Fellas have Done the BOC Proud Helping Eric with His New Abu 7000. Just Another reason I am So Proud to Be a part of this Wonderful Organization !!!!! Go Bless.J.D.
    :haha:

17. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Great reel. I now have two of them. They are more than enough to reel in any fish in the water.

Like others have said, learn to adjust that brake until you get the mechanics down for castiing. There are many people I know that have the brake all the way off and use their thumb to control the spooling. That takes some time and practice once you learn the physical mechanics of casting.

18. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    HEY ERIK, CONGRATS. ON THE PURCHASE OF YOUR NEW REEL AND I MUST SAY I'M A HUGE FAN OF ABU'S, I PERSONALLY LEARNED ON AN ABU 6000 (THIS IS A GREAT REEL TO LEARN WITH). I LEARNED HOW TO CAST FROM AN ARTICLE IN THE BOC LIBRARY THAT I THINK WAS WRITTEN BY WHISTLER, SO TRY TO FIND IT AND CHECK IT OUT, IT WAS A TREMENDOUS HELP TO ME. DON'T GIVE UP, I CAN'T COUNT THE NUMBER OF BIRD'S NESTS OR THE TIMES I HAD TO RESPOOL BUT ONCE YOU LEARN IT'S ALL WORTH IT.

19. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I also started casting on a Abu 6000, which I still have its a great reel.

20. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Congradulations, I have 2 7000c3's myself a love them, I think they are as easy if not easier to throw than my 6500. I started out throwing/practicing with an old 6500 and it took me about 4 hours on a Saturday to learn, I used the 1 oz. weight and tighting down drag until it just barely hit the ground like everyone has mentioned and it worked great. I have at present time (knock on wood) have not backlashed my 2 yet, now since I have 2 PENN 320'S I've backlashed a few times due to forgetting that they weren't Ambassadeur Reels. Like I said it's a great reel and on a 7' Tiger Ugly Stick they are even more awesome.