Finally got on the river

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by RiverKat, Feb 24, 2006.

1. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Went to the Grand tonight after work. Thermometer said 37 degrees. The 1st launch I went to was completely iced over. I disturbed two lovebirds in a parked car at the launch. I guess they did'nt think anyone would be crazy enough to put a boat in this time of year!! I did find open water at the Fillmore street launch. I ran upstream to Johnson park then made my way back down. I only actually fished about 10 minutes. I had some large shiners with me and used them as cut bait. I never have any luck on these but I was in a pinch for bait and in a hurry. This is the earliest I have ever catfished. I had to pull up anchor once to avoid a large sheet of ice. If the cats are biting it usually does'nt take morethan a few minutes to get bit so I don't think they are quite ready yet. We need a couple days of 50+ degrees to get things started.

2. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Hey RiverKat,
    You would have done better floating a little spawn, and hooking a Steelie. From what I hear, They are up and ready to Rock & Roll.
    Sparky

3. jross1901

jross1901 New Member

State:
    IL
    who wants a steelie, when the river is full of flatties and large channels.
    rivercat is the man just for braving the conditions, to bad no cats, but hey you gave it a shot. now that saying something about diehard catfishermen. can't wait until spring.
    -jim

4. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I actually did a little dropping back with Hot n Tots in front of a feeder stream that I know Steelies go up. No luck there. I was'nt sure wether or not I should mention fishing for such a high class fish!!:) After my Honey do list I'm gonna try to get back out.

5. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Keep us up dated RiverKat!
    Sparky