Finally Got my Garden Planted!

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by Poppa, May 22, 2009.

1. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    My wife and I finally got some seeds in the ground. We planted everything
    but the bell pepper plants and hope to get them in this weekend. We planted
    Ken. Wonder pole beans, zipper peas, purple hull peas, clemson spineless
    orka, straight neck squash, Hickory King corn, and four types of tomatoes.
    I know thats a lot but my children's families, and my inlaws eat out of this
    garden. We can a lot too. Its a lot of work but its something that gives you
    satisfaction and a feeling no matter what happens we can eat good.

2. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Man, that sounds like a great garden. If you can, make pictures as it starts maturing; I'd love to see it. We don't really can much, but my husband does make some awesome jelly & jam out of dewberries, mayhaws, & muscadines when we get them! And he puts up some tomatoes & peppers each year.

3. scout

scout Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Congrats on getting the garden started Poppa. I picked a bunch of blackberries today and plan on cooking them down tomorrow and making some tarts. I have included a pic of my plants and a bowl of Kiowa Blackberries I picked today.

Attached Files:

4. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Beautiful plants & berries, Randall. Nothing is as good as homemade jam or jelly from those berries! Love it!

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Good day to plant i hope.:wink: I put 6 maters, 9 jalapeno, 9 bell peppers,3 rows of okra, 8 hills of squash, a row of cucumbers,radish & lettuce and 2 hills of cantaloupe in the ground today myself. Wish my place wasn't so rocky but i love to garden.

6. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Finally got all my gardens planted too. This year I've got 3 Gardens plus a melon patch. I break up into 3 gardens because of size limitations. One garden is about 20'x20' and 1 is 30'x30' and 1 is 50'x50'. This year I have planted all kinds of good stuff in hopes of easing the grocery bills....plus me and my mother-in-law do a lot of canning and putting things up for later use.

Things in my gardens=
    Tomatoes
    cabbages
    broccollis
    bell peppers
    jalapeno peppers
    chili peppers
    crook neck sqaush
    straight neck sqaush
    black beauty zucchini
    Cucumbers
    turnip greens
    mustard greens
    okra
    bush beans
    feild peas
    green peas
    purple hull peas
    snow peas
    Sweet corn
    Potatoes
    onions
    watermelons
    canteloupes
    pumpkins

It has been a hard battle for me to get all this planted, because of my recent back surgery. I would work for a little while and then have to rest for a while because of the pains. I finally got it done though and now I can hardly walk....so I'm taking it easy for a few days....sitting around and resting and hope to be back among the living in a couple days.....looking outside and enjoying the nice gentle rains....just in time!!!!!:big_smile:

I'll get some pics posted when things start to pop up!

7. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    Thats quite a list, I will pm my address and pay the shipping. LOL

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well,If my wife dont change my mind for me My garden is in as of this evening. I have
    red onions
    white onions
    okra
    pole beans
    pickling cukes
    salad cukes
    jalapeno peppers
    scotch bonnet habenero peppers
    african fatilli peppers
    chilipetin peppers
    serrano peppers
    yellow squash
    zuccini squash
    pear tomatos

9. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Richard & John, sounds like y'all are gonna be busy! John, I can't wait to see the pictures.

10. scout

scout Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Sounds like you guys and gals are planting some nice gardens. Post some pics when they are growing. Good luck.:006:

11. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Good news, I think every seed I planted is up. I planted when it was
    barely dry enough and then it rained for 6 days off and on and very
    little sunshine. I was afraid my seeds would rot or drown out. But
    they all made it.

12. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    All of you are making me hungry..Nothing like fresh garden vegetables. Wishing you all a great harvest.

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya got most of my peppers and tomatoes in. seeds in the ground.

14. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    I've got seeds poppin up every where. Looks very promising so far!:big_smile:

15. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Mine is mostly in and I think the first batch of sweet corn has survived the slug tsunami.
    The second batch I have planted with the first batch of green beans is coming up but we got a rain last weekend that started the beans a bit soon so it will be a race to see if they get shaded/strangled out.

Second batch of Green beans hits the dirt in 3 weeks. May try a third in amongst the first batch of corn 3 weeks after that.

First batch of Zucchini is doing fine, second just sprouted last night. Third will go in 2 weeks from now.

No sign of the Cilantro yet, but after the rain, I expect it soon.

The Basil was in first and took the biggest hit from the slugs, but seems to be recovering fine.

The Sage, Rosemary, and Oregano seem to be "rooting in" fine as do the Tomatoes, Green and Banana Peppers.

Haven't decided if I am going to plant Flowers in there this year or not yet. Things are tight already.

So far, so good.

16. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    Here is a couple pics of my smallest garden of corn and potatoes with a few cucumbers mixed in....planted about 1 month ago and doing great!:big_smile:

Attached Files:

17. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    Here is a couple more pics of my biggest garden with lots of goodies coming up. I'll have to do a little thinning out in the next few days.:big_smile:

Attached Files:

18. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    And one last pic of my third garden with cabbages, broccolli, tomatoes, peppers and squash starting to come up.:big_smile:

Attached Files:

19. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Wow, those all look wonderful. How on earth do you find time to work them all?

20. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky

I had back surgery in october of last year and am still under doctors orders of no working. I guess gardening dont count....LOL:smile2: