Finally got my first ticket, seriously?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by JBrooks, Jul 28, 2009.

1. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I didn't even make it out of the gas station parking lot before a cop pulled me over for not wearing my seat belt. $104! There goes my new rod & reel. :sad2:

The cop put my weight down at 175 (anyone who knows me knows I'm not 175), and '6"1, I'm '5"11, wtf?

Do I have to head to court for a ticket like this? Sending a check in tomorrow. I honestly forgot to ask the cop if I did or not.

Like I said, my first ticket ever. One month away from being 21! :smile2:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2009
  2. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    some places if you go to the court the judge will lower the fine from the original ticket. But it is a pain to go to court, I paid my seat belt ticket via mail....all three of them:eek:oooh:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009

3. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    If you were in the parking lot of the gas station getting ready to enter the street and not on the Street you have a chance to fight that ticket. To me its private property gas stations, wal marts, malls ect.

4. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That sucks man. I don't know your state laws, but there should be a number on the ticket you can call and find out if you have to go to court. Bummer about the new pole. Andrew

5. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    read the back of the ticket it will tell you what to do if you wanna plead guilty or not .

6. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I said that too and the officer replied with, "People turn in here doing 20 - 30 mph from the main street, you have no airbags, your belt could make you or break you in a collision".

7. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Not to mention with the huge budget cuts Colerain/Hamilton township just received, they are doing anything to get an extra buck. I seriously saw 3 other cruisers on the 3 mile stretch to my house, including a barking K9 unit that pulled up behind me after I got pulled over.

I was going to die laughing if I got pulled over by Hamilton County for something ridiculous, after Colerain Township just nailed me.

I should have called the police and complained that there's a K9 in the car behind me barking abruptly - bastard was going crazy.

He gave me a pamphlet attached saying I can send Check/Money Order within 7 days including payment, yet my "court date" says 8/12/09. I guess if I just pay the bastard I don't have to worry about court.

/ James

8. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    :roll_eyes:Id still fight it, Police play those games and NEVER plea Guilty TO ANYTHING if u are guilty plea no contest. :smile2::wink:

9. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    It's a seatbelt ticket not manslaughter, chances are it wont even go on his driving record.

10. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Yeah. He said it isn't. :smile2:

11. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    LoL Its More than OBV to me they profiled him its almost the end of the month i know the game. :smile2: not my first rodeo

12. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    oops click it or ticket. :big_smile:

not sure about the laws,but even if it is private property,i think that since there is public access,it makes no difference

13. jedimanhunter

jedimanhunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    It may be state specific if seat belt laws are enforceable on private parking lots like Walmart vs a public street. If you are on a public street then you are on a public street and it does not matter where you were 2 seconds ago.

You can contest the citation and even request a jury trial most likely. If you are found guilty then you will have the fine plus court costs which may be more or less than just paying the fine. You did not get profiled as suggested. He was looking for drivers not wearing a seat belt, that no a profile stop. If its a money problem on the fine consider community service. I believe no contest or nolo contende is considered a finding of guilt as you are not disputing the charge but you are not admitting guilt either. You will pay a fine on that one either way you want to look at it and its not a not guilty verdict.

If you think you are innocent by all means challange it in court. If the officer does not show then its dismissed as the state does not have a witness. That rarely occurs because they may reset your court date. If you are pissed cause you got a ticket then you probably wont win the case because you probably know you got caught and you dont like it. I would check with your insurance agent to see if a seat belt ticket will raise your rate. If it doesnt do whatever but take care of it, you dont want to go to jail for a warrant and have your car impounded as well. Good Luck

14. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    James your 21 now welcome to the real world lmao ... If your front tire's where EVEN touching the street but the rest of the car/truck was on private property your gulity as charged :smile2:

15. Magnus777

Magnus777 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    If he wrote down your height wrong, and he wrote down your weight wrong, it shows he really wasn't paying attention to his job, which is a valuable piece of information you could bring up in court. If he had also spelled your name wrong, it would most likely be grounds for dismissal.
    Were you about to pull out onto the road without buckling up? It is the law, after all, and one could say the cop was just doing his duty? Or were you aware of your misstep, and about to buckle before pulling onto the roadway? At any rate, the question I think you're asking yourself is "do I want to fight this, or just give them my money?" Right or wrong, what are your options? Well...I think MiseryMike may have a valid point, if you were on private property, and not yet on the public road, then this officer likely was acting outside his authority...meaning, he is a duely appointed officer, bound to uphold the law, but he himself must act within legal boundaries just the same as we private citizens.
    You could just give them the money, and be done with it....which is what they want. The seatbelt issue really isn't about a well meaning government that wants to protect us, and neither is a speeding ticket. It's about a revenue stream...bringing easy money into the government coffers. They know most people are going to take the easy way out, and just give up the money...it's too much of a hassle for most people to take off work to go to court, and that's what they're counting on. It's the private citizen who isn't afraid to stand up for him/herself that's a thorn in their side! If you go to court, the the ticketing officer has to take time away from his normal duties and show up in court, too. If he doesn't show up, and sometimes they don't...because just like you they feel it's too much of a hassle to go to court over such a trivial matter...then it's automatically thrown out, and you don't owe them a dime. And even if he does show up, as rrssmith said, the judge may likely reduce the fine just because you are there asking him.
    Admittedly, I'm no legal expert. I'm just a guy...I don't cause anyone any trouble...don't mean anyone any harm...and I'd like to make it through my day without being hassled by The Man while I'm trying to mind my own business! All I'm saying is, if you feel strongly enough about this, then don't be afraid to stand up and fight it! If just 10%....even 6% of the citizens of this country would stand up for themselves and say NO...that they're tired of being censured, criticized, and having our lives legislated into small, safe, non-threatening and easily controlled, little boxes...tired of being hassled by overbearing, jack booted Law ENFORCEMENT thugs...our court system would grind to a hault! Resistance can help makes laws unenforceable! Not only would they be forced to redirect manpower towards REAL public safety matters, and REAL crime, but the reduction of expenditures from enforcement of such trivial laws would make such revenue grabbing schemes unnecessary! It's a viscious cycle...laws are passed to make otherwise ordinary behaviour illegal...enforcement brings in revenue...enforcement costs money...expenditures go up...revenues must also go up...more laws are passed to bring in more revenue!
    Whew! Ok...I went off on a tirade...but I got it out of my system, and I'm all better now. Honest! Whatever you decide to do...best of luck!

16. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here is the way it really works man. You can go in to court and fight it and the Judge might lower what you pay, but also the cop might just not show up for court and you won't have to pay anything. The problem is for most people they will lose as much money taking off of work to fight the ticket as just paying it. If you have the time off when the court case is and you don't mind sitting in court for possibly hours to possibly pay nothing or less then go fight it. You are pretty much correct though that they are going to be giving more tickets because of budget cuts. Basically the idea behind tickets was to keep people safe but they are much more commonly used as a way to make money.

17. mbill

mbill New Member

State:
    Midvale Ohio
    Man that does suck, I dont know what I would do go to court or pay but then again that stuff makes me mad and would probably fight it if it wasn't a far drive because the cop probably wont show up anyway. He can hand out 10 tickets a day and say 3 people fight them and 7 just pay straight out, he's making the town more money by staying out there ticketing us instead of arresting the real dirt bags,,, dirt bags dont pay fines so why arrest them right?
    Anyway maybe you will save enough to buy atleast the rod or the reel.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  18. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    You could go into court an the fine would be reduced. There is a seat bealt class video that you could watch if they are still doing that in your area. The issue on descript. on the ticket won't matter on this summons. A p;ea of guilty or no contest are in essentially the same. The new law coming out is click it or ticket an they (police) can now stop you for just a seat belt violation where as before they couldn't. Good luck an remember to buckle up.

19. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    If you fight it the police will rarely show up to court for it which gets an automatic dismissed speeding tickets are the same.:wink:

20. cdog

cdog New Member

State:
    ohio
    Another thing to remember is that if you decide to go to court and fight it, think of which is cheaper. Pay the ticket, lose a days wages at work if you win, or possibly lose a days wages from work and still found guilty for the ticket which in this case you end up with court fees also. Hope you make the right choice. good luck