Finally got my dream reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by payton350, Dec 26, 2008.

1. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Today I went to bass pro shop with my gift certificate that I got from the inlaws and got me the abu 6500, boy these things are truly marvels of worksmanship, they are beyond what I am use to, man are they smooth, the clicker is strong and loud, and they just look completley awsome, she looks real sweet on my catmaxx rod, it took me a couple of months to acquire this set up but it was worth it. I went ahead and spooled it with 65 pound power pro braid. I can't wait to get out on the river.

2. jdward

jdward New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    Congrats! One of mine is set up exactly the same as yours Aarron. I'm sure you are gonna love it! Haven't had any problems out of mine. Having something nice to fish with sure makes those long slow days fishin go by a lot easier:wink:!

3. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    NICE RIG-its gonna get it:big_smile:

4. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Congrads on your new set up.Hopefully you'll be able to hit the waters somewhere to at least try it out.

5. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Congrats! You made a great decision. The #65 Power Pro is also a good choice. I have two 6500's spooled with #65 and they both cast great. I used #50 at first, but I had a few problems. As soon as I switched to the #65 I have never had a casting problem. Since you are fishing in a river, I assume there are snags,rocks, and debris around, I would recommend using mono for your leaders. Good luck.

6. Payton 350,

Welcome to the B.O.C. and congrats on the new set-up

sTRICTLY Catfish

7. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    congrats and good luck on the upcoming season !!!!!

8. Sonny Kemp

Sonny Kemp New Member

State:
    Tn
    Peyton I recently bought one of those too.I also appreciate quality workmanship.Like Justin said,it sure is nice to have something good to fish with.Im a fullblooded redneck and every now and then I reel mine in to just see if it really is that smooth.:big_smile: Hope you enjoy it.

9. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    You'll like that setup man. You can't go wrong with a 6500. I have several friends that have them and they are very nice reels, I go with the 6000's b/c they are cheaper and hold just as much line. Be sure to post a picture of that first biggun' you catch on your new rig!

10. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Congratulations on a fine set-up. Your ready for anything now!!!!:big_smile:

11. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    i run 5000s, 6500s, as well as 7000s, and the 6500 is by far the best in terms of castability. I couldn't help but get out to the reel shop and get a power handle on mine and now i love it even more. congrats on getting your dream reel.

12. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I ordered my power handle before I even got the reel because I have one for my other reel and I think they make a big difference.

13. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Aaron congrats on the new reel setup. It will serve you well. I look forward to reading about your new PB on that reel.

14. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Nice setup, you won't be disappointed, I have a couple of the same setups. I was given a gift card from bass pro for Christmas, I've been looking at the shimano baitrunners.

15. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Thats a sweet setup, congrats.

16. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I repped you for your GREAT choice in the 6500 reel. You will never look back now! :big_smile: I'm slowly building an arsenal of these reels! What Wes said is also true. The 6000 is also a GREAT reel, and for some odd reason, all my 30+ pound fish this year have been caught with my pair of them! Weird how when I get a big fish on, it's usually the 6000, when I have the rod holders filled with mostly 6500s. :eek:oooh: If I primarily fished deep water, and/or lakes and reservoirs, I'd go with the 7000 for their extra line capacity. The 6500 suits my Pee Dee River needs quite comfortably.

Bill in SC

17. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Congrats I have a Abu 6500C3 and I love my.