Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts
I use Monster rodholders and like them with casting reels but wouldn’t think they’d be effective with spinning reels, others on the forum will know I’m sure.
I use Monsters with both casting rigs and spinning and can't see any difference. They hold both rods equally well. Not aware of any stronger holder out there, due in part to the excellent bases.

Discussion starter · #24 ·
Rod Holders: I am convinced on getting the monster holders but I have a question on the mounting. I saw they offer mounts that utilize the versatrack system that comes on the tracker boats. I like the concept of being able to relocate the positioning of the holder at will. Here’s the question, does anyone know if you can buy the versatrack rail or does someone else make track that will work?

Personally, after using both the flushmount holders and driftmaster/monster style I'd choose the flushmount all day long. You can pull your rods out with minimal hangup and you don't have to worry about getting your line snagged or pants hung up as you're getting off the side of the boat resulting in a femur fracture as you fall 6 feet onto the loading ramp. (You know who you are)

Nice looking rig..you'll have a ball getting it all set up. You'll be ready for fall. Id suggest a half top with sides and back fir this cool rainy days. Good on you...now you can hit all the sweet spots

Discussion starter · #29 ·
Nice looking rig..you'll have a ball getting it all set up. You'll be ready for fall. Id suggest a half top with sides and back fir this cool rainy days. Good on you...now you can hit all the sweet spots
Thanks. I am already wide open on the set up process. I am spending every waking minute working on it or doing research. The worst part is when you get into going through something in fine detail you find bugs and more stuff you want. At this point I am about 2-3 weeks from being finished providing Murphy doesn’t show up and kick me in the shorts any more.

I would love to have some sort of canopy on it but finding one may not be so easy. We will see as it progresses.

Discussion starter · #30 ·
I am finally getting to the bottom of my repair and set up list for my boat. When I went and checked the boat out I checked all of the structural and mechanical aspects. That only showed one issue. The trim/ lift system would leak down when raised if the motor wasn’t in the lock position. All research show the manual relief valve to be the likeliest culprit on that. The big surprises have came once I got into getting it ready to fish. The electrical system has been a nightmare. Most of the switches were shot and someone had done a lot of mindless mangling on the harness. I have had to sort through a rats nest of wires and re run about every circuit that was butchered.

While trying to get power to all of the essential points I found the bilge pump, marine radio, boat leveler/ trim pump for the tabs and the wash down pump were all bad. Most of those are ordered and set to deliver today and tomorrow. I have also replaced 4 of the flush mount rod holders that were damaged. I am hoping to get a chance to get on the water soon.

I still have a few items left to order including the Bimini top, rod racks, a few more rod holders, bait net and an aeration system for the bait tank. I think I am going to have a few weeks off so it may be ready and on the water pretty quickly.Hopefully the fishing is going better on the lower James by the time I get down there. I hope to also detour to hit Buggs Island while I am down that far.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.