Finally got into them!!

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by jlingle, May 13, 2007.

1. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Me and a friend of ours named Shawn took our kids out tonight for some channel cat action. I'd baited a hole at the lake this afternoon & tried fishing it for a bit before everybody got there. Not even a bite. I was worried. I always like to catch fish when I go, but I feel like it's extremely important when we take the kids. Besides, Shawn and his boy Payson think I'm the fishing King.... they're my good luck charms.:cool2: For whatever reason, we nearly always slaughter the fish when they're with us.

I ditched the idea of the baited hole and headed up the lake to where the North Fork of the Red River was running into the lake. This is the first time in my life that I've ever driven a boat into the river, it was awesome. I've always wanted to be able to do that, and since our river has come up 31.5 feet since last fall (Thank you Lord Jesus!!!) I've finally been able to do it. We anchored right in the middle of the channel, rigged up with some Danny King's original and set out 3 poles. I thought I'd hit a few spots until I found some fish.... we never had to move. After about 2 or 3 minutes of no action, we suddenly got little nibbles on all 3 rods at once. Then one rod went down, then another, then we had non-stop action for the next 90 minutes before we had to leave. The kids got to reel in every fish and they were fired up about that, but what got the most attention between the 3 kids was who got to punch the hook down into the DK next time. My daughter caught one channel that went about 5 pounds:lol: , the rest were all 2 or 3 pounders. All in all, it was a great hour & a half of fishing for the kids. They had an absolute blast.

I plan on taking them back out tomorrow night as well. Hopefully I'll have the camera tomorrow.

2. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    When my kids are with me and we're having fun then it's just absolutely great! So glad to hear your children had such a great time fishing!:cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

3. barney leonard

barney leonard New Member

State:
    Mannford,OK
    Glad to hear everyone had a good time.I also look forward to getting up in some of our rivers here in Oklahoma and it's great to see our lakes full again.

4. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    WooHoo, that DOES sound like fun. Them channelcats are a blast, and the kids love 'em. Sounds like a great time!

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    it's all about the kids man, you're doing a good thing.