Finally got in...

Discussion in 'TEXAS RIVERS TALK' started by renji2476, Jun 30, 2008.

1. renji2476

renji2476 New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Well I finally got the boat in the water and guess what... it didn't sink!!:smile2::eek:oooh::smile2: Had a great week end (except for one bad occurance :angry:) out on the Brazos! I just didn't catch anything besides bait and me and my son had a blast doing that!! Caught tons of perch!!:eek:oooh: The thing is that when I went to a place where I thought that I would catch a big ol flatty.... nothing:confused2:! Man oh man what am I doing wrong?!?!? I used live bait... I hit the places that looked like I would get snagged up (which I did more time than I would like to admit)... I took some of the scales off the perch, I made a few cuts in them, I even cut the tail fin on one still nothing!! Man can I get a little help from some one on this one?:embarassed: Now I ain't asking to be told about anyones honey hole or anything just want some advise as to how to pick a better location or spotting the right location where to fish. Thanks for any help that can be given!!:smile2:

2. el-de-saspamco

el-de-saspamco New Member

State:
    Saspamco,Texas
    I bet you 're thinking 'what the heck? I got a boat now, the fish should just be jumping in it' I know the feeling well, didn't see you write anything about chumming, cheese bait, soaps, punch baits and last but not least "grand pa's 'don't ask me how I make this, I'm taking it to the grave' reciepe" sometimes you gotta be prepared for anything.
    I went for years struggling to find what to do to be more successful, I finally hired a guide and learned how to fish, where to fish and better yet how to catch the fish.

Rubes

3. LONE STAR

LONE STAR New Member

State:
    Raleigh, NC
    Where is the fun in that Brotha? Hiring a quide, you a high roller or que?LOL. I had the same thought though and that was what was I doing wrong just like you said I got a boat and thought they should be just jumping in the live well. Lucky enough my bud went out with me and suggested we take back up baits. Out of every kind of bait we had the only thing they bit was a crumbled piece of my bologna sandwich. So Jesse don't fret be patient young grasshopper and they will come.

4. renji2476

renji2476 New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Thanks for the support guys but just what the heck are cheese baits?.... and soaps? Man I still got a LOT to learn!! :embarassed: I was already trying to get out on a guided fishin' trip but don't think that I can afford it Bro so, so much for that idea!!!

5. Wac M Trac M

Wac M Trac M New Member

State:
    Texas
    I dont know a whole lot about catfishing yet but I think channel cats are the easiest ones to catch. Start there. They are fun and good to eat. Cant beat that. I bet you could hit one of the good lakes in your area and figure them out pretty easily.

Good luck.

6. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Jesse,

Yellow cat fishing is a hit and miss deal. You can fish hard and never get a bit and then other times bam you will catch tow are three of them. This time of the year you need to look shallows dripping into the deep , log jams, underwater structure, and try different baits unless there a lot of yellows in your water try for blues are channels blues are a very hard fighting fish and learn how to read your fish finder thats the whole game

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    There is a good chance that the fish are still spawning and that will affect the bite. Sounds like you are doing everything right, just keep trying.

8. el-de-saspamco

State:
    Saspamco,Texas

The fun is when you go fishing and CATCH fish, I look at the expense of hiring someone as an "education" In a years time, we could have easily blown the money I spent on a guide for bait, tackle and any other gemmick being peddled to catch fish with nothing or hardly anything to show for it.

The fishing trip was a b-day gift from my wife, the pic on my avatar was the result! never had I caught so many fish in one day. (THANKS CLIFF)

Jesse,

Try this, run a search for members in your area, look for their posts and see what they have to say. You may have already done this, no offense intended but just an idea

Rubes

9. el-de-saspamco

State:
    Saspamco,Texas
    Lone Star,

Hows the fishing in NC?

Rubes

10. byron9393

byron9393 New Member

State:
    texas
    Here on the upper end of lake travis there are a lot of cats still spawning. That will slow the bite down a bit. The man is right. Some times you can fish hard, do everything right and still go for days w/nothing but your humble self to show for it. And then that day comes that makes it so that you want to do it all over agin, and agin.

11. renji2476

renji2476 New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Bro, it sounds like you caught a keeper!!! Lucky you!!!:wink::smile2::eek:oooh: It also looks like you caught a few keepers on your trip as well!! Oh just so that you know you didn't offend me and yes I did check what others were saying about this neck o' the woods!:confused2: Guess it was just one of those learning experiences :sad2: But I think that I'll do better this week end once I get some lights hooked up to the boat and do some night fishin'!! HOO HOO!! I'm gonna catch me sum FISH!!!:cool2::cool2::cool2: Thanks for the advise ALL advise is accepted so I hope that no one feels that they will offend me... just cause I don't offend easily at all:cool2::smile2::cool2:!!!

12. LONE STAR

LONE STAR New Member

State:
    Raleigh, NC
    Rubes,
    Fishing is pretty good around my parts, most of the water is brakish and I'm not to keen on how to fish it but I try. Most of my friends here fish salt water. I pretty much stick to one particular body of water more like a river(Trent). The fish in my avitar were caught out of it and I never come home with an empty livewell when I go there. I'm a family of five but only three of us eat fish so it's more than enough. Long answer but that's the way it is for me. We have really good fishing in the neuse river but I haven't had the oportunity to fish it just from what I've been told and read. I'm looking forward to coming home(Lockhart,TX) next month to visit and to try and do a little fishing. I kinda like the idea you gave Jesse and look around where I'll be going and get some ideas thourgh members in the area. Thanks for asking Joe

13. el-de-saspamco

State:
    Saspamco,Texas
    Hey Joe,

Thanks for the reply on the fishing in NC, here we're doing good (those that are fishing) I haven't been for a while but still trying to stay in the loop. I want to go soon but I've been busy.

I told the guy we used when went on the guided trip that we want to go with him in the fall. His Name is Cliff Hill and he's good. Guy has to get credit, knows his stuff and can put you on fish.
    I had always been the kindda fisherman who wasn't all that successful catching fish every so often and sometimes coming home empty handed and often broke, now it's better but I work for it. Cliff taught me to chum, taught me to try different places I normally wouldn't try and how.

After I fished with Cliff, we started catching fish like crazy. I changed baits and caught fewer fish but bigger fish, you know in the 2.5 to 4.5lbrs. May not sound like much to some folks but when you go from nothing to 15-20 fish per trip and spend as little as $50 for stuff that can last you something like 3 months you can't lose.
    In the pic for my avatar, we had only fished for about 2.5 to 3 hours and caught our limit! In as many years that I had fished I don't think I had ever caught 25 fish in total much less 25 in one day.

Rubes

14. el-de-saspamco

State:
    Saspamco,Texas
    Welcome Byron, here at the BOC you'll learn a bunch and meet some great folks.

Rubes

15. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i have to agree with the guide idea, usually $350 for a day of fishing and u can split it with a friend. you'll gain a world of knowledge.

16. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    What part of the Brazos were you fishing?I went out the the Brazos a week ago around the I 20 bridge and I limited out in about an hour and a half.I was fishn where the shallow drop right into about a 8 to 10 foot hole.I was using cut shad and slip sinckers casting into the shallows and let it drift down into the deep hole.Hope this helps and hpoe you catch a mess of them big ones.

17. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    hey jesse this time of year sucks for flatties, for me anyway. that doesn't keep us from trying to catch them though, does it?! sounds like you had some great father son time anyway, that's what it's all about!

18. chappy1958

chappy1958 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I fish the rivers in East Texas. From what I have found fishing the Sabine and Trinity Rivers is if I am not catching anything on live perch I will start cutting them in half. In most cases that will turn my fishing trip around. I will start catching blues and channels. Next time try cutting your bait in half and putting a live perch on your bottom hook. Just might work. And keep those memories fishing with your son.

19. renji2476

renji2476 New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Hey thanks guys for the response!! I really like the advice about letting the bait float down into the hole from the shallows... I hadn't thought about that I was fishing snags and cliff faces and didn't even think about holes!!! :embarassed::tounge_out::embarassed: Boy what was I thinking (I was thinking that I would catch me a BIG OL' FLATTY :crazy: that's what I was thinking!!LOL!!!) Either way it is all about the quality time that we spend with our little ones!! Let me tell you guys for the last couple of months, I don't know why:confused2: but my son has wanted me to catch a gar. Well this week end we went out and we were just messing around with different types of lures and I put a jig and mister twister plastic fish on his rod (pearl color) and he ended up catching a gar of his own!! Now I don't know if I will be able to keep him from trying to catch gar all the time!!!!:confused2: LOL!!! I guess that I just have to hook him up with a good size cat and let him tangle with that fight to get him back on track!! :eek:oooh::smile2::eek:oooh: Anyways just wanted to say thanks again and tight lines to all!!!

20. renji2476

renji2476 New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I am all the way down here in Waco but like I said "Thanks for the advise!!" I will definitely try that tactic!!!