Finally got a boat

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Tar_River_kid, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Tar_River_kid

Tar_River_kid New Member

State:
    NC- Nash county
    Well I finally got a boat, It is a 14 foot john boat with a 1980’s (exact year is unknown) 35 horse evenrude pull start. It was not ran for about 5 years before I got it. so far I have changed the spark plugs, checked the carburetor and It seams clean ( will blow it out soon) and other small things but it still wont idle smooth, and if I run it awhile and cut it off it wont start back up. When I try to idle it acts like it wants to shut down. Also sometimes when running it surges like its giving out of gas, but the bulb on the fuel line still has pressure. I am clueless anybody got any ideas about what may be wrong? Also is a 35 horse too big for a 14 ft john boat? Thanks in advance.

Randy

2. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Randy. Congrats and Welcome Aboard.Well if it hasent ran for five years I think I would have the Carburator rebuilt probably is all gunked up. that should fix the problem. Good luck. Bigcatman0816.:big_smile:

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    We recently got a 14ft V-Hull, with a 35hp Mercury and have been having the same exact trouble that you speak of, I was told that it is probably the carburator, so that's what we are going to focus on soon. 35hp is not too big for a 14ft boat.

4. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Look back on the transom of your boat and find a metal tag. It will give you the maximum rated horse power for your boat. If I were to guess I'd say probably nothing higher than a 20 horse for that size boat. AwShucks just covered this subject a short time ago, so maybe you can ask Lawrence or just find his thread. As to your motor running ruff and not wanting to idle I'd check the connection of the gas line to the motor and make sure it's not sucking air. If that's OK then I would agree the carb(s) have gunked up with old gas from sitting for so long. The best policy IMO is disconnect the gas line every time you use your motor and let it run until it dies. I've got a 1974 9.9 that I only have change plugs and lower unit grease in since I've owned it. Guaranteed it will start in two pulls after sitting in my basement all winter. Congratulations on your new rig. Get her set up the way you want and catch some fish!!
    Don

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I had a suspicion that air was getting in my gas line, if this was true, how do I know for sure whether that's what it is, and what could I do to fix it?

6. Tar_River_kid

Tar_River_kid New Member

State:
    NC- Nash county

That might be it, because about an hour ago my friend was over here and we were messing with it and after it cut off (I was trying to idle it) the bulb on the gas line had lost pressure, but this is the first time it did it. Also how should I gap the spark plugs, I gaped them to 35 earlier but tried 40 this afternoon

7. Johnny316

Johnny316 New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I had the same problem a couple of years ago and found out the was a pin hole in the gas line. I bought a new line and fixed the problem. I It wasnt leaking any gas so I believe it was letting air to the carb that was causing the problem

8. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    Ckeck fuel mixture to much oil will bogg you down or check the lower gear unit might need gear lube thats my best guess
    touchthe shaft after you run it for awhile if its hot not warm then change the lube
    :0a26: